it looks too weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it looks too weak

i got carried away and i bought this roof rails from a scrap man, he assured they came from a surf, but now i am having second thoughts.
    is it strong enough for support same 8x4 plasterboards, or me and hopefully roof tent?
    soud i look for something stronger? and sell this, this is plastic mountings with a hollow pipe.
    or longer, this is 65 inch.
    they look like the iron man roof rails.
    thank you.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by budweiser; 13 September 2011, 11:43.
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Hey JC. Those do, indeed look like IRON FLY roof rails. Formula 4x4 sell them as aftermarket accessories, so your scrapman may have taken them off a Surf. They're reasonably sturdy, but anything bolted directly to the roof panel will only be as strong as that panel. If they are Iron Fly, they should bolt from the top, downwards into the roof using "Rivnuts". Let me know how you get on with them and if you decide not to use them, please give me first refusal on them (Subject to price and carriage costs, of course.).....Cheers....Mick.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

i will keep you in mind if i decide to do that.
      if i decided to use them i need to find those "Rivnuts"
      and same rubber to be between the metal and the plastic legs.
      but got time to think about it due is a bad storm here and everything i do to the surf is outside.
      do you know how much Kgs can hold on??

Comment

Roof bars

I fitted some to my truck off a Peugeot 406(dont quote me) but the Surf is only a flimsy roof panel so personally,no,I wouldnt put anything too heavy on mine.You may get away with a roof bar for some lights,or if you strengthened the roof you could maybe fit a Thule type box,but again be wary of too much weight.The Peugeot had some brackets fitted between the side rails and the feet of the bars,but it seemed too much work to make them fit.
        p.s. check out Growlers pic of my motor(and roof bars)around 22 August
        Last edited by HONEST AL; 13 September 2011, 23:18.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8x4-single...item19c8d6c3de

Plasterboards on your roof?????

Does it rain where you live, are considering lifting your truck and how many you thinking of carrying up there, bearing in mind they are 26kg each for a 2400x1200mm 12.5mm board.

A 12' square average room including ceiling uses about 17 boards... that's 442kg without board adhesive or plaster...

Just buy a trailer dude!
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

this is why(one of the reasons) im thinking about it (see video im doing this at least once a day, not always with load on) and not with a trailer, and normally don't put more than 250kg ish on top, yes she got 2" body lift, and 2" suspention
            Last edited by budweiser; 14 September 2011, 08:33.

Comment

aaahh! crap it doesnt allow me to put the video in,

Comment

Most roof racks are omly rated for 75 - 100kg max. Doubt very much the Surf is rated any higher for roof loading. Don't think I'd feel too comfortable with a quarter of a tonne over my head!

Comment

Working...
                X