94 surf ssr-x 3.0 turbo mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 surf ssr-x 3.0 turbo mileage?

I had this Surf for barely a week. And I think its takes a lot of juice (maybe, its my first surf). Well, when I got it fuel tank was about half full. The third day, when it had abt 1/3 left in the tank, i filled it up with 50lts (the tank became full). Then I had reseted the trip counter. Now it has 1/4 tank left and i have only managed 260kms. Is this good? What is the total fuel tank capacity of these surfs? What are common ways to improve mileage (to the engine)?
    '94 Surf SSR-X --3.0l Turbo-KZN130W -- 400,000KMs

Originally posted by tamrat View Post
    I had this Surf for barely a week. And I think its takes a lot of juice (maybe, its my first surf). Well, when I got it fuel tank was about half full. The third day, when it had abt 1/3 left in the tank, i filled it up with 50lts (the tank became full). Then I had reseted the trip counter. Now it has 1/4 tank left and i have only managed 260kms. Is this good? What is the total fuel tank capacity of these surfs? What are common ways to improve mileage (to the engine)?
    They are quite thirsty beasts.

Fuel capacity on mine is 65 litres. As far as I know this is the most common size but I seem to remember reading on here that there might be some 55 and 60 litre tanks out there too.

The fuel gauge isn't necessarily the most reliable thing in the world (the fuel warning light can be a blatent liar too) but assuming it's roughly correct:

65 litres = 14.3 imp gallons
    3/4 of 14.3 = 10.725 imp gallons
    260km = 162.5 miles

Giving just over 15 mpg.

That sounds a bit too thirsty to me.

Things you can do to improve mpg:

1. Drive more thoughtfully - use the brakes less, carry corner speed, coast up to junctions/traffic lights/etc.
    2. Unload any unnecessary stuff from the boot, etc.
    3. Increase tyre pressures (I used to run them at about 34-36 PSI on the road, particularly if I was putting motorway miles in)
    4. Check your tyre size (I lost mpg as well as performance when I went from 265/75/15 to 33/12.50/15)
    5. Think about fitting an intercooler. It'll give you a smidge more power and if you're driving sensibly you'll probably end up using a fraction less throttle for a given speed. If you get the bits to do it from a scrap yard it could be fairly cheap to do.

Surf are fairly thirsty wee beasties. Get used to it! (Start to walk or cycle - it's a good excuse to keep the Surf & get fit!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
      Think about fitting an intercooler
      any good intercoolers out there? how is their price? plus what mpg should i expect from a good 1994 Surf SSR-X 3.0l TURBODIESEL?

Comment

any good intercoolers out there? how is their price? plus what mpg should i expect from a good 1994 Surf SSR-X 3.0l TURBODIESEL?
        In order:

Yes, whatever you're willing to pay (fleabay or local scrappy), about 20-25 mpg (ish) sounds about ok.

You might find the forum search facility useful and here is a "how to" list of performance mods (including intercoolers).

Comment

thanks

Comment

Check your tyre size
            265/75/16 - dueler m/t vs dueler h/t vs dueler a/t? Which is better: interms of comfort and fuel efficiency?

Comment

265/75/16 - dueler m/t vs dueler h/t vs dueler a/t? Which is better: interms of comfort and fuel efficiency?
              Road tyres will probably be more fuel efficient at a guess given that it sounds like they're designed for what you want them for, mud tyres are designed for use on mud, ATs are a halfway house between the two.

Just thought I'd add that my Surf used to do mid 20s mpg on 265/75/15s Now that I've put 33/12.50/15s on it's gone down to about 17 mpg. The price you pay for more ground clearance off road!

The plan is to re-gear once I can afford it to get some performance and mpg back but I'm sure it won't be as good as it was in terms of fuel efficiency. But if fuel efficiency is important then a Surf isn't the vehicle to achieve it in.

Comment

What sort of driving are you doing - motorway, town ... ?

Are you nailing the accelerator ?

When was it last serviced ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

thanks. I'm about to get new A/Ts or H/Ts cuz my current big tubeless M/T has many punctures and I have to install tubes in them. Plus i'm gonna change the engine oil, cuz i think they r burnt (its deep black), if it has any effect.

And i just wanted to get 8-10kms per liter when i said fuel effieciency.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

What sort of driving are you doing - motorway, town ... ?

Are you nailing the accelerator ?

When was it last serviced ?

Generally city driving. As my country is a 3rd world country there are almost none fancy motorways.

no, i go easy on the accelerator.

I don't know its last service date, i only had the car for abt a week (i didn't ask the last service date). But i'm plannin for one on wednesay, hopefully.

Comment

I've a 94 3litre and it does 25 (ish) mpg as long as i drive with a very light right foot.

On a motorway i stick around the 55/60mph mark. Everyone, apart from the caravanners, overtakes me but i don't care because i'm happy.

My daily trip to work is almost 20 miles of fast country roads. For this i use an old 1.4 ghia Fiesta, quick enough that i can whizz along the country roads at 65 plus, frugal enough that it's averaging over 45 mpg and small enough that i can park it anywhere at work, also it's old enough that i'm not that worried about extra scratches and dings that are appearing on it because the other people who park too close bang my door and theirs when they get out.

The only reason i have the Fiesta is so my lovely surf isn't having 200 miles a week added to her mileage and the money i save in diesel costs will pay for some new AT's for her and her body lift.
                      If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Comment

Derr - I didn't check to see where you were !

A full service will make a BIG difference but you're never going to get brilliant fuel consumption with city driving

Have fun !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Changed the oil, oil filters and air cleaner, if that makes any difference.

Hoping for a brand new set of Dueler A/T tyres and a full engine+body service.

Comment

Working...
                          X