Aircon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircon

Are normal rubber o rings suitable for re-sealing the pipe work to the condensor? If so anyone know what size? I went to my local Toyota dealer and they said the o rings only come with the new pipes, after hearing that one pipe was £104+vat i didn't hear the rest of the sentence!

Thanks in advance
    Dazza
    Non consternationes.

Originally posted by Thrifty
    Its a massive subject on its own i could rattle on about it for days

Yup.

Comment

Nice one Thrifty, Just need a big cup of coffee and have a good look. Got to be better than the dealer option!
      Non consternationes.

Comment

The o rings depend on what gas you are using. Ask your local automotive air con guy about the correct ones.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          The o rings depend on what gas you are using. Ask your local automotive air con guy about the correct ones.

Nev

Picking the works van up from the local garage tomorrow(i think they do aircon stuff) so i'll ask them, hopefully they might sort it for me.

Ta,
          Dazza
          Non consternationes.

Comment

Are the o rings ok ?

if so just get hold of some loctite 777 and stick em back in and smear the loctite over the joint
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I counted to ten before replying.....

Then thought why bother
              Was gonna waste some time to see if I could copy and paste then realised over twenty years experience with refrigerants was fine.
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                Are the o rings ok ?

if so just get hold of some loctite 777 and stick em back in and smear the loctite over the joint
                They were totally shot, i'm suprised they held gas before. I think they've been on and off a few times, such is my luck.
                Non consternationes.

Comment

Then thought why bother
                  Was gonna waste some time to see if I could copy and paste then realised over twenty years experience with refrigerants was fine.

GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

"i suggest reading the guide i posted earlier for clarification"
                    I had a quick look but didn't have time or patience to work out what i need, when it's quiet and the kids aren't around i'll have a good look and sort it out. Thanks again for the guide.
                    Non consternationes.

Comment

Then thought why bother
                      All suggestions are considered otherwise i wouldn't have asked and i dont want to start trouble
                      Thanks for taking time to answer and if i can't find replacements it may be the way it gets done.
                      Thanks
                      Dazza
                      Non consternationes.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                        I wasnt slagging your response, or trying to tell you how to suck eggs

i just put In my opinion.(IMO)

prior to replying i searched loctite 777 and couldnt find it on the loctite web site.
                        I agree with what you said about the o rings if they were fine just to put them back. but in most cases after several years in there they will be knackered anyway.
                        i also thought my 15 years of experience in the seal and gasket business was sufficient experience to be able to offer an opinion.

Im sorry if you feel offended as that was un intentional.
                        i was merely offering some advice i thought might be handy for others, i lost count of the amount of times i have visited engineering sites to explain why a gasket or seal has failed. 99% of the time it was down to fitters smearing them with crap.
                        OK firstly no offence was taken.It would take more that those comments to offend me.
                        When people ask for advice they generally want a straight answer not chapter and verse or your version of "war and peace".
                        They will generally not even bother getting past the first page of the pdf you posted.I being an engineer got to about page four and realised that I have a life.

Personal experience with their particular question is very relevant,in this case the mating faces on a twenty year old truck,hence the reply "if the o rings are ok smear them with loctite "
                        This method may not be to your liking but it is a real world solution.Tested on systems running at +47 BAR and -35 to +150 C every day 24/7, way way above the operating conditions on any car air con.
                        I purposely stated Loctite 777 to see your reply www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93780_577EN.pdf When it is actually Loctite 577.
                        I would like to see your evidence of "crap smeared joints" being the cause of failure perhaps I can look forward to another lengthy pdf to trawl through.
                        In case you do find something perhaps you should forward it onto all the makers of this crap so they can withdraw their products from use , I'm thinking of Blue Hylomar for starters the list would quite literally go on for forever , when a simple yes would have been enough

Like I said no offence taken
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

ooo, it's all kicking off!
                          Non consternationes.

Comment

if it helps, I've just junked all my aircon stuff, I have the hoses and I'm sure the o rings are still on them, cover the post and I'll send them to you...

Comment

Originally posted by lawsy View Post
                              if it helps, I've just junked all my aircon stuff, I have the hoses and I'm sure the o rings are still on them, cover the post and I'll send them to you...
                              Great, you are a star!
                              If you take paypal PM me the costs and your email.

Nice one
                              Dazza
                              Non consternationes.

Comment

Working...
                              X