No announcement yet.

Roughtrax 3rd Gen 2" suspension lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No worries - I know what it feels like when there's a niggle nagging at the back of your mind. It's usually the missus, so I just go to the shed.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

An Update on this....

Things have settled down after a trip to Cornwall and back.

I have removed the rear 1.5" spacer lift (yesterday) and I think thre might be a slight improvement, although I suspect it is my mind willing it to get better!

The truck still looks level as the Roughtrax kit seems to lift the rear a lot more than the front (i.e. the top lips of front and rear wheels are about level with the bottom of the sill).

How long would we usually expect a set of fresh springs to "settle down"?

It was silent before over the country lanes (all sound deadened cab) now all the trim/dash/spare rattles and thuds due to the harshness - it certainly wouldn't be any use off road!
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

I have received my Roughtrax 2 inch lift kit, and hope to have it fitted by the weekend.

I do hope it’s not as harsh as you say, as I will be using the truck both off road & on.

Will let you know when it’s fitted!

Comment

I can't speak for what has happened to KS's truck, but I've fitted countless 3rd Gen Roughtrax lifts and they are usually fantastic.

Don't forget you are comparing it to soggy 15 year old shocks and springs, it WILL feel much stiffer and firmer just replacing it with stock stuff, let along uprated bits, if it didn't then you're wasting your time.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Let us know Highgun!

I'm beginning to think as everyone else sings it's priases I must be imagining the entire thing... Or maybe the roads where I live are just worse than everyone elses! (reason for buying the truck).

It's good point Tony. Have you ever fitted and Old Man Emu stuff to a third gen? I hear that rides well, not sure how it compares to stock....
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Only ever fitted one set of OME stuff to a 2nd Gen, but its has a good name around the internet.

Barry at R/T infomed me today they are now stocking Rancho shocks along side the current Monroe range, which is good news. You'll have the option of both as the Rancho stuff is slightly dearer but much beefier apparently. I'm hoping this will give us more options for +3 or 4" shock lengths like you used to be able to get with Procomps (as Rancho do their own 4" lifts anyway) which will be good news for the people running uprated coils and spacers on the back.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I've only skimmed through this thread. But I have 2 questions for the OP.

1 - Has the geometry been set up?

2 - Did you slacken off ALL the suspension mountings before the lift and then re-tighten them with the full weight of the truck on them (on a level surface)?
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Cheers Tony!
                  I'll keep an eye open on people's reviews....

Albannach - I've not had the alignment done yet.... It is on the list, and I fully accept that it will make the truck "wander" more... I can't see how it would make the ride hard though, just the direction it travels in when it hits a bump

And yes most bits that needed slackening were done so, or free movement was checked when it was apart.
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                    And yes most bits that needed slackening were done so, or free movement was checked when it was apart.
                    That's not what I asked.

You have to slacken ALL the suspension parts and then re-tighten them when the truck's weight is on the suspension on a level surface. If you don't do this, the bushes will not be 'resting' in the right place and will be fighting against the suspension.

They'll eventually sort themselves out though, when they disintegrate
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Let us know Highgun!

I'm beginning to think as everyone else sings it's priases I must be imagining the entire thing... Or maybe the roads where I live are just worse than everyone elses! (reason for buying the truck).

It's good point Tony. Have you ever fitted and Old Man Emu stuff to a third gen? I hear that rides well, not sure how it compares to stock....

Right, I have had the 2 inch Roughtrax suspension kit fitted on Saturday, and have driven about 140 miles. I can say it is a firm ride when going over bumps, but no more so than before when turning on the hard suspension button on the console. The Truck also handles better, and turns in much sharper than before.

I now love the height of the Truck, looks much higher than before (guess old setup had sagged somewhat) and can’t wait to try it off road.

So far very happy with this setup, I will leave it to settle in for a few weeks, and then have the tracking done.

Comment

Glad yours is OK! - Thanks for the feedback.

It is a bit odd though... I have started driving the M3 again, which is a known for being on the firmer side of "sporty" it is like riding a hovercraft by comparison. (on 30 profile rubber)

Albannach good point!

I'll re slacken everything next weekend, grease everything... I might try the old wheels and tyres too as I think the BFGoodridge have tripple reinforced side walls... and play with the presures.

I'm going to need to pull it apart anyway, both inner CVs are now shredded, and there is a serious knock, so I'll replace all the ball joints while I am at it..
                        More Lift.
                        More Tyres.
                        More Engine.

Comment

Just going back to my point regarding rear axle algnment . I saw 'A 4x4 is born' again on Quest yesterday and he was setting up his suspension/steering alignment . Guess what he did first ?? Yes , he aligned the rear axle to get the 'thrust' line correct as he said " wthout this set up correctly the vehicle will crab down the road " .
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I thought I'd re-visit this with a "down the line" update.

After a few more months and more playing things have settled down a lot...

I recently replaced all the front ball joints, and polybushed the front upper arms (the lower ones are rusted onto the camber arms so will need cutting off; I'll wait until the chances of snow are gone before I take it apart again!)

I am running the Daystar 1.5" lift all round again, the rear shocks have a good few of inches before topping out, it looks like the springs have dropped at least 2-3 inches since fitting at the rear.

The truck is now knock free, although I diagnosed the rear knock - I had used the factory rear shock mounting washers (note, do not do this) the bolt at the top of the shock had RIPPED THROUGH the washer and the rear shock was loose! I’m running the BFGoodrich 33s at 30 psi all round for daily use. New front driveshafts fitted now I have the 1” front diff drop kit to reduce the inner CV angle; hopefully now the height has dropped a bit combined with the diff drop the front boots won’t self shred as quickly, the acid test is another trip to Cornwall on New Year’s Day!

Lessons learnt so far (all common sense really)

-If you suspect anything is worn before lifting, replace it (ball joints CVs etc) a Lift will find worn parts and destroy them.

-If you need to clear 33s on a third gen, you are probably better off sticking to +2” suspension and +2” body lift.

-As Albannach said, checking for free movement is NOT the same as undoing and redoing once at resting height.

-If you insist on running a spacer lift on top of a coil lift, at least wait a good couple of months for the coils to settle down first.

-My third gen looks awesome with lift and 33s...

-I like my truck again. I missed it when I had to drive the BM!

-Roughtrax are awesome.

Thanks for your help folks, hopefully any other 3rd gen lift newbies can learn from my mistakes!
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Blimey guv...I've had kids grow up since this thread started!
                              Congrats on a good outcome.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I recently replaced all the front ball joints, and polybushed the front upper arms (the lower ones are rusted onto the camber arms so will need cutting off; I'll wait until the chances of snow are gone before I take it apart again!)
                                Do them now before your long journey!

You/we won't be getting any snow until at least February (if at all where you live) anyway, we haven't even had a frost here yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X