No announcement yet.

Roughtrax 3rd Gen 2" suspension lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the new 3rd gen Roughtrax lifted springs are NOT handed as far as I know - mine had no indication of this.

my old 2.4 lift WAS handed. I wonder if you have not located the spring correctly? dont know if thats actually possible but its a thought.

My ride is pretty good, a bit softer than the old 'hard' setting, a bit harder than the 'soft' setting.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Cheers Tony, you put it into words far better than I did! We'll see how it goes once I get my new spring compressors.

Thanks Andy, they are definitely seated properly... Good to know that they are not handed!

A little firmer I can cope with. This is stiffer than my lowered M3 on 30 profile rubber!
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
        my lowered M3
        Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        you must have a sensitive arse...
        Wow, Tony, you're good.

Most M3 fanboys use a lubricant.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Well a few days in, I've not driven it much.. but it seems to be settling down a bit... I don't think the shocks are bottoming out now as when I jacked it up the rear still had some to drop...

Body lift and diff and front anti roll bar drop kit fitted yesterday. I attack it with the spanners again later... then get some pics up
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

If one side of the rear is lower / higher then the other , it maybe due to the panhard rod not being relocated yet as this will pull the axle sideways some which may pull one side down abit . Apart from that it looks good in the pic . Better a high rear then a saggy one !! rear springs will settle down .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

The panhard rod won't affect the geometry. All it does is centres the body on the chassis. Does it look equal from the back end?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                The panhard rod won't affect the geometry. All it does is centres the body on the chassis. Does it look equal from the back end?
                Surely, It governs the relationship getween the axle and the chassis, not the body and the chassis?.........
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Sorry, blond moment - yes, you're right, but it only shifts the axle sideways which doesn't change the geometry in a way that affects handling / tyre wear etc. The rear wheels are still pointing the same direction.

Comment

Thanks Vagrant, I'm really happy with the look, it looks even better with the body lift on I think the springs are settling down a little, the ride is still really tough... it’s not unbearable, just not what I was aiming for!

The rear axle looks equal-ish. It's probably over one side by a centimetre or so. nothing mega, but something I'd like to sort, even if only for alignment purposes (Plus if I know something is not quite right the mental aspect nags at me far more than the physical symptoms, - I can't be the only one like that can I?)

I think I'll see how they settle after a month or so and if they still prove to be too hard go for something else.

One thing I have noticed is a clanky knock from the driver’s side... clearly something that was happily minding its own business at just under 100k miles didn't take too kindly to being re-angled... I took the strut off today and gave everything a good wiggle, no play. It sounds a bit like a ball joint/roll bar linkage clatter when I go over a bump... but I suspect it might be the inner joints on the drive shafts... they are leaking goo so I guessed they are goosed.... can a failing inner CV knock like a Ball joint on one of these? I’m familiar with the knocking on lock on outer ones and it’s not that! It seems fine on "the flat"... I really wanted these bugs ironed out as I'm off to Cornwall on Friday... I wanted to take the surf!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

A mis aligned rear axle will affect handling and tyre wear etc as steering is set on a centre line drawn through front to back and then uses the geometry off the rear wheels as well as front to set up just the front , if the rear is out the front wont be right. But if the rear axle is offset even by 1cm it will alter the way the car drives and steers . It will crab down the road .
                      I spent 4 years at college and many years in garages and bodyshops setting up steering and suspension, I think I know wot I am talking about .
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
                        A mis aligned rear axle will affect handling and tyre wear etc as steering is set on a centre line drawn through front to back and then uses the geometry off the rear wheels as well as front to set up just the front , if the rear is out the front wont be right. But if the rear axle is offset even by 1cm it will alter the way the car drives and steers . It will crab down the road .
                        I spent 4 years at college and many years in garages and bodyshops setting up steering and suspension, I think I know wot I am talking about .
                        I was impressed until you said think in the last bit.

Comment

I agree with the above - Plus it'll make it a bugger to align as they use the rear wheels for reference! (Edit.... err you said that lol)

I'm after a second panhard rod to get converted to adjustable..... but I'm concentrating on "the clank" for now..... anyone had a inner CV go?
                          More Lift.
                          More Tyres.
                          More Engine.

Comment

Agree all you like, you're still wrong

All 4 wheels are still pointing in the same direction as they were before, why would the vehicle crab?

Comment

If some numpty aligns it and uses the offset rear wheels as a reference point

Anyway from practical experiance, it tracked straight before, but doesn't now... I'd imagine it is more because the front geometry is all over the place so it follows and road camber...

(no matter what you say Andy, I have it in my head that I want one, so I'll not be content until I do )
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                                Anyway, it looks like this.....

Love it!

Lose the scaffolding and the little make-up mirror on the wing, replace the door mirrors with chrome ones and it'll be perfick!

Comment

Working...
                                X