Roughtrax 3rd Gen 2" suspension lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughtrax 3rd Gen 2" suspension lift

Is it any good? I see it is now listed with Monroe shocks all round, has anyone got one and do they reccomend it?

Seems quite good value at £350.

Thanks in advance

Charlie.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

I like it, fitted lots and seems to work well.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I’m tempted myself, don’t forget plus vat and delivery.

Comment

Cheers folks.. sorry for the hasty post!!

Tony what is the ride like?

Going for 33s (well ok 285/75/16) need 4" of lift trying to work out if I should take the easy route of 2" roughtrax kit + 2" body lift.

Or go for a 3" OME lift + diff drop and onlt 1" BL.

Or 2" rough trax with a 1" leveling kit (and diff drop) + 1" body lift, but not sure if the rear shocks will die...

For 2" body lift: Cheaper, easier to get parts
        Against: Can I lift my factory bull bars with it? Will the transfer lever foul the body without cutting bits off or filling a short shifter.

Has anyone body lifting a '96 third gen bothered with the "extra" B pillar body mount?
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Ordered!

I'll post again to say how I got on!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
            Cheers folks.. sorry for the hasty post!!

Tony what is the ride like?

For 2" body lift: Cheaper, easier to get parts
            Against: Can I lift my factory bull bars with it? Will the transfer lever foul the body without cutting bits off or filling a short shifter.

Has anyone body lifting a '96 third gen bothered with the "extra" B pillar body mount?
            Ride is great IMHO, you will probably have to fiddle with the shifter holes/rubbers/stick, but its not much. All trucks are slightly different.

I've left the missing body mount alone on trucks that don't have it, dosn't seem to affect much. Maybe on a fully loaded Safari truck I'd fit it.

Its hard to alter the bullbars without them looking two redneck, as they bolt to the bottom of the chassis, so you can't 'spacer' then up like the bumper. You'd have to cut and lengthen the actual bar as it comes up the front of the truck. Most people leave them as they are or take them off if they are to close to the headlights.

Comment

Thanks Tony...
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Hi folks,

I fitted the kit yesterday, and I have a few issues... (I did have a search)

Firstly the ride is shocking, really, really bad, the back skips about and the whole truck crashes and rattles over bumps... Anyone experience this with the Roughtrax kit? I’m wondering if it is the daystar lift kit that is causing the problem – but it seems combination reported to work fine stateside. (Admittedly not with the Roughtrax kit).
                I also noticed rather worryingly that the back is nearly two inches higher on the passenger side (half a tank of fuel) search suggested tweaking torsion bars but I don’t have them I haven’t checked if the springs are handed... (Can anyone confirm without me crawling under the truck?).

I did notice a slight inconsistency at the front, with the Monroe shocks, with the top nut fully tightened the duct cap/shield was still lose enough to rattle slightly. Rather annoying I assumed that the rubber grommet wasn’t quite thick enough but the assembled strut height matched.

The geometry is obviously out so I’m expecting that, I seriously need a panhard drop bracket or adjustable bar. (Reading I am more inclined to the bracket now)

I was expecting it to be a little worse to drive a little more vague, but this is catastrophically bad and compounded by the skippy ride. (I hoped ride would be better on 33s)

Any suggestions or ideas? Any help appreciated! I’m a little gutted after the spend and hard work fitting!

I’m also going to need a higher jack!

It does look awesome though
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Did you put the springs on the correct sides? One spring is longer than the other...

Comment

Front or rear? I assume rear? I haven't seen any oitrature on this... (googling at present)

Either way the spring rate is WAAAAAY too high... I was using a breaker bar to try and do the spring compressors for the front! (Maybe I'm, just feable..)- and the daystar kit doesn't even touch the fronts!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                      Front or rear? I assume rear? I haven't seen any oitrature on this... (googling at present)

Either way the spring rate is WAAAAAY too high... I was using a breaker bar to try and do the spring compressors for the front! (Maybe I'm, just feable..)- and the daystar kit doesn't even touch the fronts!
                      That'll teach me for not looking at what vehicle you have! I was thinking 2nd gen... sorry!

Comment

That said.. a bit of digging the Toyota EPC lists differnt part numbers for left and right springs, front and rear...

http://www.megazip.ru/ru/auto/toyota...2/43062/415695

http://www.megazip.ru/ru/auto/toyota...415699#g415701

So you might be onto something

Anyway, it looks like this.....
                        Attached Files
                        More Lift.
                        More Tyres.
                        More Engine.

Comment

I think the spacers are to much, +2" springs are long enough to be hard work to get the struts put together on their own.

You need to find longer struts for this to work I think. the struts arn't much longer than stock, uprated spings and spacers is probably to much IMHO.

Comment

Hi Tony,

The spacers sit ontop of the front strut assembally, spacing the complete unit down so not affecting the seated spring compression, it is sold as "not affecting ride" which at least at the front is true... - it was the fronts that I really struggled to compress

The back however the spacers sit on the coils so if the rear shocks are limiting the height anyway I'll bin the spacers as i'll just be getting a crashier ride for no height gain - I'll pull them off this weekend.
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Ah, ok, I thought they went in with the springs.

The springs are tight to get in, but I and everyone else I've fitted 3rd Gen Lifts for have like the firmer ride. So not sure whats going on.

But havn't ever fitted spacers and +2" coils on the back. The shocks maybe be resting on its internal stop, so not moving far then hitting back when you go over a bump.

The I've fitted loads of these, (just the 2" lift) something must be binding, or you must have a sensitive arse...

Comment

Working...
                              X