Surf for towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf for towing

Hi, I own a 2.4 auto and am looking to move to a 3.0 litre. We have a caravan hence the towing. Should I be looking for an intercooler version or is the standard version ok. I know the towing limits are low but are enough for my purposes. Any info would be appreciated.

TBH any 3.0 will be a revalation after a 2.4.

The intercooler is nice, if you can find one and afford the extra, its 'probably' worth it from the ones I've tried, it'll have to be a 3rd Gen to be intercooled (unless homebuilt) but 3.0 2nd Gens are great value.

Fit a AFT cooler if you get an Auto, one mod very worth doing.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Personally I'd go for the intercooler cos every extra bit of power is useful when towing a van !

Whichever way you go I'd strongly advise fitting an additional transmission cooler and if your van is at all on the heavy side have a word with Doctor Anglegrinder about doing away with the in rad ATF cooler entirely ...

Bugger - beaten by the Doctor himself !!!

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

i pull a 23ft van no probs with my 3rd gen 3ltr not intercooled plenty power when needed and fuel con int too bad realy

Comment

I pull a 1500kg caravan with my 3rd gen & it does pull well but as above I would recommend an ATF cooler, I've not fitted one yet but it is top of my to do list. I have fitted a digital temp gauge which is a bit of an eye opener as it has hit 91 degrees "uphill" where as the standard surf gauge didn't go above halfway.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

does anyone make a kit that is a straight bolt on type kit?
            www.apmautos.com

Comment

Originally posted by bullet513 View Post
              No, it's a case of make your own but enough on here have done it so you can't really go wrong "famous last words".
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by bullet513 View Post
                You can get generic kits that will fit just about anything but it's loads cheaper to do a search on here/the Aussie tech site to find out what other people have done and pick up similar stuff from a scrap yard or fleabay breakers.

I picked up a couple of brand new oil coolers (excess stock) from a guy on fleabay ages ago for about £20 - haven't got around to fitting them yet though (one for ATF, one for engine oil) but I'm sure it'll keep me out of mischief if I find myself with idle hands sometime.

Comment

I tow a twin axle with MTPLM of 1600kg behind my 3.0L Surf auto no problem. Just got back from St Neots and travelling at 60mph with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X