Stuck In Between

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck In Between

I'm rather stuck for choice between a 3rd Gen Surf and a Nissan Terrano swb which are for sale.

After doing some research the Terrano has a very reliable 2.7 diesel engine and run into very high mileage but but not heard much about what it's like on vegetable oil. I believe they are 'all in one' shell and chassis welded together like a car(is that good or bad)

The only two things that put me off a Surf is the head problems and the length they are. Are they longer than a 2nd Gen?

I did have a 2nd Gen back in the winter for a short period.

go for the surf

Comment

I have just been reading a list of good and bad diesels on the Bob Tuning website.
      http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/goodbad.aspx

They have the Toyota Hilux Surf down as a bad diesel, and they say they will never work on one!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun M View Post
        I have just been reading a list of good and bad diesels on the Bob Tuning website.

They have the Toyota Hilux Surf down as a bad diesel, and they say they will never work on one!
        Buy the nissan then.
        Brian

Comment

Speak to zetec rob as he used to have a terrano, and I'm guessing he won't own another . It kept breaking down and having alternator and starter problems. He had to walk to mine to ask for a tow once.
          Yes they are not independant chassis and body so doing lifts etc is limited and expensive.
          Parts are not cheap as Rob found out.

As for head problems with surfs, yes the 2.4 had a lot of problems, so does the 3.0 to an extent , but find a nice one that's been well looked after or already had head done and your laughing.
          PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

It depends what you want. The Terrano will be hellishly slow and the monocoque means it's harder to lift for offroading. It may (I have no idea) be reliable than the surf, but surfs are hardly terrible.

As for Diesel Bob....Well, he sells a resistor in a box for a couple of hundred quid, so take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by animal View Post
              Speak to zetec rob as he used to have a terrano, and I'm guessing he won't own another . It kept breaking down and having alternator and starter problems. He had to walk to mine to ask for a tow once.
              Yes they are not independant chassis and body so doing lifts etc is limited and expensive.
              Parts are not cheap as Rob found out.

As for head problems with surfs, yes the 2.4 had a lot of problems, so does the 3.0 to an extent , but find a nice one that's been well looked after or already had head done and your laughing.
              Had a few surfs with 150k on the clock both 2nd and 3rd gens. How many miles do you think a head should last. Seems pretty dam good to me.

However if the fella wants to listen to Bob the plumb, let him kick on.
              The Nissan is a heap 'o' shite when compared to a 3rd gen.
              Last edited by yoshie; 25 August 2011, 20:11.
              Brian

Comment

Thats because they've been compared to Wayne Besanko on here in the past.

Buy a Surf, a 2.7 petrol one. MPG is the same if not better than the diesel and economy isn't an issue as you wouldn't be looking for another one, would you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  It depends what you want. The Terrano will be hellishly slow and the monocoque means it's harder to lift for offroading. It may (I have no idea) be reliable than the surf, but surfs are hardly terrible.

As for Diesel Bob....Well, he sells a resistor in a box for a couple of hundred quid, so take what he says with a pinch of salt.
                  Oh the old diesel tuning box , lmfao.
                  If you take what he says as gospel then you may as well buy lame rover lol
                  PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Terranos are rust buckets as well. I had a Ford Maverick years ago, same 130BHP TDi engine,same age as the Surf I have now, definitely not as quick as my 3rd gen Surf, back door leaked water, fan control unit died, main HV lead to starter failed. It had only done 50k.
                    3rd gen 3.0 SSR-V '98 R

Comment

only had my surf for short time, but have had terrano and i'd pick surf any day over them.

Comment

I worked for ford for 10 years and had the misfortune of seeing a lot of mavericks (same thing) not a bad car really if you can get it to keep hold of it`s engine oil for more than five minutes! I can remember on several occasions filling out the VCR sheet with "oil leak from EVERYWHERE".

They are not as competent as a surf off road and it`s going to cost a lot to get it anywhere near as good as a mildly modded surf, not half as good looking IMO, reliability wise probably on par you get good and bad one`s with all cars, value wise you would pick one up a lot cheaper than a good surf which speaks volumes on it`s own.

As for diesel bob well................ He calls himself diesel bob for gods sake, clues in the title there!

Comment

Many thanks for your replies guys. Terrano out of my mind now. Found they rust in the rear too.

I have not heard anything about 'Diesel Bob' so have no idea what he is like.

Comment

Patrol??...a better Nissan?
                            .... Which was nice.

Comment

Many thanks for your replies guys. Terrano out of my mind now. Found they rust in the rear too.

I have not heard anything about 'Diesel Bob' so have no idea what he is like.
                              Box...resistors...couldnt mend something, so it was "crap"...nothing to do with ineptitude and stupidity...box of resistors...crap...
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X