Hi All.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All.

Just a quick hello to all the very helpful members on this board.

Had my KZN185 Surf for a few months now, and i have to say i love it to bits.

Best car i've had in a long while. Had a Honda 2.0 CRV that was good, but the Surf is better.

I'm right in the middle of an oil change as i type this, went and bought 10w 40 semi synthetic, 7L worth and a Eurocarparts filter. Hopefully this should be OK, going by what i've read from you helpful chaps and chapesses on here.

One word of caution to other mechanical newbies out there thinking of changing your engine oil, i came within a gnats whisker of draining the gearbox oil instead of the engine oil!

Crawled under the Surf, located what looked like a sump, saw a bolt stamped with 'Oil' written on it, and just stopped myself taking it out in time.

The engine oil drain plug/bolt is through the large circular hole in the belly plate, further forward towards the engine. Obvious to folks used to all things motor related, i suppose, but to newbies an easy mistake to make.

Anyway, cheers for all the articles and advice on here folks, it's really useful.

Andy.

Hi there matey. Welcome to Surfland/the loonie bin.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Comment

Welcome Andy
        A few people have drained the A/T fluid in the past so well done for not being a numpty, 7 litres of 10/40 should be just enough but you may need to buy another litre for topping up and if your surf is in tip top condition you shouldn't need to add any oil between changes.

Also make sure you check the transmission oil properly because the dipstick can give false readings if not done in the correct manor, use the "search" button to find out how, unless you already know.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Hello Andy. welcome to the forum......Cheers....Mick.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Thanks for the welcome folks.

I read about the A/T dipstick problem giving hot and cold readings that are a bit hit and miss, tried checking it when it was cold, warm and hot, so hopefully i covered the lot!

The engine in my surf must be in good nick, cos the oil level didn't move a mm since i bought it, but was as black as the ace of spades. Looked like black gloss paint rather than oil.

Anyway, the oil change went fine, no problems (apart from being half a numpty with the A/T bolt thing), and just completed a 700 mile family trip (with driving about down there) to South Wales, with no problems at all.

Saw a black gen 3 near Newgale, and a red over grey gen 2 in 'diesel motor services', in Haverfordwest. They were the only two other Surfs i saw the whole trip.

Did a lot better on diesel than i thought it would too.
            Filled right up to till the station's pump clicked off, and still had well over a quarter of a tank left after 320 miles.
            That's sticking to 60 - 65mph all the way, with the occasional flooring it to keep the turbo clean. I thought that was great for such a big motor.

So far so good.

Parents were so impressed with the Surf, they're thinking of buying one!

Cheers all.

Comment

You'll find that within a week the oil will be as black as the ace of spades again, "diesel engines for you". I change mine every 5000km to keep it running smooth.
              Your mileage sounds about right for how you've been driving so all is good mate.
              If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

hello welcome
                “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

welcome dude
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Cheers all.

I'll be looking to change my oil every 6 months or so too si.
                    Better safe than sorry i s'pose.

A little tip for you all is don't go and spend a tenner on a magnetic sump bolt, if you have an old Hard drive laying about, rip it open and get the magnets out of it, they are very strong, and they are mounted on a curved plate that fits around the bolt nicely.

Just stick it onto the outside of the sump, it won't fall off and should help drag fine metal particles to the bolt area and keep them there.
                    Last edited by spikeychops; 23 August 2011, 19:28.

Comment

Working...
                    X