Concerns about impending recall work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns about impending recall work

I've recently got the green light for the steering bar recall from Toyota.

My concern is that as my Surf is a fairly rusty 1995 and after having a battle to remove an upper ball joint - that Toyota will break some things to remove the 5 ball joints on the steering arm and I will get a bill for the time and parts over and above the replacement of the bar.

Any had any experience of this?

It shouldn't be a problem, they should have proper fitting ball joint splitters.

I've never failed to split a ball joint, and thats on some of the most rusty old pickups you've ever seen!

There arn't any bolts to undo, its just ball joints to split.

If you have any worn ball joints on the tie rod, you want them to tell you about them anyway.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Still waiting on local toyota to get back to me. Green light from BIG TOYOTA, they are sending the job description to local toyota...who will contact me. At some point. Who knows when though...
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

I'm still waiting to hear back from them might have to give them a ring and see what's going on
        Always up to my neck in it

Comment

@Tony:

What make of splitter do you use, the one I was using was a €20 shit, I saw the facom one retails at €92 but looks very sturdy - if it works I would be happy to invest.

http://www.pro.facom.fr/CatalogueGen...AG-CAT-05.aspx

What size is best for a surf 16mm or 22mm?

Comment

The local dealer won't contact you, take the letter from Toyota and book it in yourself.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Ploddit View Post
              @Tony:

What make of splitter do you use, the one I was using was a €20 shit, I saw the facom one retails at €92 but looks very sturdy - if it works I would be happy to invest.

http://www.pro.facom.fr/CatalogueGen...AG-CAT-05.aspx

What size is best for a surf 16mm or 22mm?
              You don't need a Facom one. Unless you're going to do hundreds of them, a Draper (or equivalent) one will be fine. A press one, not one of those stupid fork things.

The splitter probably won't split the joint on its own. Screw the splitter up reasonably tightly then skelp the arm, or whatever the balljoint is in to, sharply with a hammer, it'll pop right out.

Comment

Skelp that's a new word for me!

Laser tools I find pretty acceptable quality/price.

But as I am in France I stick to Facom.

Comment

Education and advice, all in the one place...

Comment

That's Surf School!
                    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                    X