Hello from Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Big Ben.

For crew cab the load bay needs to be 45% of the length of the wheelbase. The 3rd gen is 2cm too short!

VRT works out at 13.5% instead of 30%, and tax is e288 instead fo e1,300!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_ben View Post
      Me likes that....! But I needed a passenger jeep....first child arriving October.....

Anyone ever converted a passenger surf into commercial crew cab by adding a rear bulkhead? I heard it can be done with surfs as they have enough rear capacity to class it as commercial??

i did it, but there's a problem now....

for a crewcab you need to have to prove you have 3 employees by suppling 3 prsi numbers on the crewcab declaration form....

hence so many crew cabs for sale on donedeal

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
        for a crewcab you need to have to prove you have 3 employees by suppling 3 prsi numbers on the crewcab declaration form....
        Rules must be different where you are; here we just sign the declaration of business use and supply a VAT or PRSI number.

Some tax offices seem to be trying to make life as difficult as possible.

Comment

Thats great news lads. Sold my crew cab Mk5 hilux recently....had to fill out the new tax declaration form when I taxed it. But that was ok...I had the names and PRSI numbers....

My surf is a 1993 Gen2.

Does that mean it can be done on it? What's involved in the conversion??? Woul it work with a "temporary" bulkhead? ie a plywood one that could be removed after tax and DOE?
          92 Manual, 93 auto, 03 Dual Cab, 95 Single Cab

Comment

Thats great news lads. Sold my crew cab Mk5 hilux recently....had to fill out the new tax declaration form when I taxed it. But that was ok...I had the names and PRSI numbers....

My surf is a 1993 Gen2.

Does that mean it can be done on it? What's involved in the conversion??? Woul it work with a "temporary" bulkhead? ie a plywood one that could be removed after tax and DOE?
            pics of my before and after

surf conversion

i had too have the seats in the back perfectly vertical and secured into place.... didnt leave much leg room, for vrt, after test i just moved seat to reclined position and re-did bulkhead.

Comment

I had a look at the pics - but had trouble figuring out much.

I see it's covered in carpet - but what's the bulkhead made of? (Wood/steel?)
              How is it fixed in place? And how easy is it to remove?

In terms of actually changing the tax class from Private to Commercial - what was required? Do you need an engineers report, etc?

Comment

Oh...and thanks for all the help. Don't mean to be full of questions with no gratitude!

Comment

I had a look at the pics - but had trouble figuring out much.

I see it's covered in carpet - but what's the bulkhead made of? (Wood/steel?)
                  How is it fixed in place? And how easy is it to remove?

In terms of actually changing the tax class from Private to Commercial - what was required? Do you need an engineers report, etc?
                  needs to be presented for inspection at an NCT centre,

mine was siliconed into place

when it passed i moved it back a small bit and secured with metal brackets around the top and to the back of the rear seats....

bulkhead is made from 12mm mdf carpeted on the back and leatherette on the front....

Comment

Why an NCT centre, and not a DOE centre? What do they actually check for? I'd just like to have a better understanding of what to expect from them if I go ahead with it...

What paperwork do you need - where to get it?

I'd really want to take the bulkhead out once it was changed over. But that could have complications I suppose.....?

Comment

Vrt offices have been closed so nct centres now look after the vrt side of things.

I have a check list somewhere hut basically has to less than 3.5 tonne, boot had to be more than 45% of the wheel base with a PERMANENT fixed bulkhead.

Vrt used to be pen pushers examining vehicles, now you have "mechanics"

And only a elected number of nct centres do the inspections.

Comment

got one of my surfs done in log book as a commercial estate 5 seats, went to doe like any other year, and this year they say oh! we cant pass because it says estate, not crew-cab, done bulkhead i asked for amendment, and they say that i need to start from scratch, how far is yours from the rear top to the bulk head?
                        sorry to post this here not starting a new tread, but due you where talking about it!

many thanks
                        the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Dublin

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                          welcome along ben, i'm from dublin myself....

hope you dont have too much to do to fix your truck....

where did you get your truck from??? any pictures...
                          Hows it going BigBobE?,
                          I see your from Dublin, im in dublin too, any chance you can recommend a good mechanic who knows surfs inside out or any advice on doing a few modifications on mine.

Many Thanks,
                          Kurt

Comment

Working...
                          X