Some wheelin with the "new" 35s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some wheelin with the "new" 35s

I borrowed some 35" MTs (actually measured about 33.6") in pretty rough shape off a buddy to see if I could fit them without rubbing/issues since I have 31" ATs and just installed my lift. They were really worn and I had to run tubes, but that allowed me to run 8psi without worry of blowing a bead. Other than putting a nice hole in the sidewall on one I really had no issues wheelin and what a world of difference they made. I did as much in 2wd as possible only using 4wd when needed and even took the "harder" routes avoiding the "bypasses" most times. Wheeling wasn't too much of an issue but hiway driving kinda sucked, especially trying to pass ppl. I have factory 4.88s with LSD and will be upgrading to 5.29s and locking with a Aussie locker I already have. I'm also in the process of installing an intercooler, boost controller, and propane injection to hopefully add a lil more power to turn the new 35s I'll be getting. Anywho, here's some pics:

Oh, and after this trip my rear axle seal crapped the bed and dumped all my oil out. I spent the last day rebuilding the whole rear end, new inner/outter seals and axle bearings, all cleaned out, and fresh oil! Should be good for another 100,000+ kms

Cheers!

-Steve

It looks like a Tonka Toy. Rough Tough and Mean Enough...lol..

That's so cool, and it looks as though it's being used the way it was meant to be.

Nice one!!

With such a high lift and almost balloon tyres, How does it ride on the road compared to a standard Surf.
    Now it's time to play!

Comment

Looking good steve. Is it a 2.4, or a 3.0 or petrol?
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

lookin good dude!!thats a pretty big hole you put in the side wall

Comment

Looking good Steve! Tell me more about the intercooler and propane injection you're working on, very interested. Do you have a boost and EGT gauge yet?

This truck is a 2.4TD, for GWH200.
          '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Nice rig- hope the re-build holds out.

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
              With such a high lift and almost balloon tyres, How does it ride on the road compared to a standard Surf.
              Very soft/smooth. On the 31" ATs hitting train tracks or speedbumps sends a good jolt down my back but with the 35s even at full pressure ride great, don't even feel the bumps/tracks. Take it offroad, aired down, 4LO and you can walk over anything!

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
              Looking good steve. Is it a 2.4, or a 3.0 or petrol?
              Bone stock 2.4L TD.

Originally posted by IanB2 View Post
              Looking good Steve! Tell me more about the intercooler and propane injection you're working on, very interested. Do you have a boost and EGT gauge yet?
              I have the pods installed with gauges but they aren't hooked up and wired in just yet. I have Water Temp, Oil Temp, Tranny Temp, Boost, Air Pressure (for on board air), and EGT.

I was thinking of going with a top mount intercooler, even have a 04 WRX one I was gonna use, but after wheelin the last week in that heat and overheating I axed that idea. There is way too much heat to be useful so although it will be more laggy I'm gonna run a front mount. So now I have to find a new IC and plumb it. For propane I'm gonna talk to Frenchie, apparently he has some experience running it and doing installs. I'll let ya know how that goes.

I found this link pretty informative: http://www.luxuryimports.ca/products...einjection.php

-Steve

Comment

Couple other pics:

Had to go up and over a beaver dam!

All the pics are here: http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/...eg13/11-07-17/

Comment

I'd be tempted to plumb in the WRX intercooler and mount it on top. Use a WRX scoop as well and you could probably mount a kenlowe fan (electric fan) to the intercooler or to the underside of the scoop to push air through the intercooler so it's always got airflow even when stationary. The engine gets a nice cooling effect too.

If you're using custom pipework try and make it as short as possible and similar diameter to WRX OEM minimising pressure drop and lag. You could use the WRX Air Bypass Valve and plumb that in to a vacuum port on the inlet manifold, and recirculate the dumped air back into the air inlet pipe from the airbox, or just run it VTA...PSSSSHHHHHHTTTT...lol...

Preferable to front mounting and all that extra pipework on such a small turbo. Not just laggier but you'll see quite a pressure drop as a result, e.g. Turbo at the oulet pushes out 12psi but you only end up with 9 or 10 psi at the inlet manifold, maybe less.

ETA: Great pics....I wish i was there, the weather looks awesome!!
                  Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by ROMEROTECH View Post
                    ETA: Great pics....I wish i was there, the weather looks awesome!!
                    Thanks for the info on the IC. And ya the weather was killer, 35 degrees, 48 with humidity, was a great weekend. Truck was overheating a lil tho, didn't like the slow pace, 35s, and heat.

Comment

I've been thinking about an air/water barrel core intercooler, no hoodscoop required, and high efficiency even with low air flow. I'm a ways away from that stage in my build yet, but I think that's the way I'll go. You may get some additional boost lag from the extra piping in a front mount setup, just another thing to consider. Something like this:

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...18015aa586cb49

I also stuck some Redline Water Wetter in my coolant last week when it was 35+. I had great success with it in the SFGT back in the day, figured it couldn't hurt in a TD with bigtime consequences if you overheat it (head replacement). It's like $15 at Canadian Speedshop, might want to check it out.

Comment

With your hot weather i might be inclined to get rid of the standard radiator fan and couling setup and run 2 electric fans a bit like Subarus do. Subarus have to manage high underbonnet temps and they don't do such a bad job considering it can be tight under the bonnet.

A lot of drag racers run these water cooled type setups. Great if you can find room for the little radiator in some airflow as well as the water barrel that comes with it. Like intercooler water sprayers i'd be inclined to run a water mix of 50% Methanol and 50% Water. Keeps the water cold, raises the boiling point of water and stops it evaporating too quickly.

Ultimately though it's more about just how serious you are and how deep your pockets are, although If you have a WRX that can donor parts it becomes a pretty cost effective conversion.

In fact this gives me an idea as i'm going to be stripping my own WRX wagon down soon in respect of other duties. I would be able to use my STi intercooler and other ancilliaries to do a TMIC conversion although i don't think i'll be swapping my Surf's hairdryer for my 20G.
                        Now it's time to play!

Comment

The only pic I got from our lil trip today, leadin the Jeeps around

I figured out the over heating issue. I had drove out the hour to the wheeling spot with no issues. When I got there I immediately headed to the biggest hill which is pretty steep and soft sand. It's usually a decent go for me to get up the hill in 4WD but I walked up it in 2WD then did a donut at the top. In winter I can't even make it in 4WD. I continued on playin around in 2WD climbing hills till I'd get stuck, then try again, then put it in 4WD and crawl out of the whole I dug lol. I then noticed the truck over heating and the fan just going. I popped the hood, let it cool down, and put in just over a litre of water. I figured what happend was the tranny cooler thats on the bottom of the rad was getting so hot from the tranny working hard that it wasnt allowing the rad to cool the engine. After it had cooled down I left it in 4WD and just slowly walked thru and overy everything, making sure not to push it too much and it didn't over heat. A proper tranny cooler has been on my list of things to get but I think it moved up in importance and I'll see bout getting one in this week.

The other thing is to order up the 5.29s to help the tranny as well.

Comment

Is it possible to rig up an electric fan on the tranny cooler?
                            Now it's time to play!

Comment

Those new wheels look good Steve! Bypassing the in-rad tranny cooler with an external would likely help you out a pile with overheating.

Comment

Working...
                              X