No announcement yet.

petrol surfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a petrol 2nd gen v6 (I must be one of the last few now!!! acording the that web site howmanyleft there is either 150 or 25 still on the road!!)
    I converted mine to LPG about 5 years ago, it has probably paid for itself about 5 times over (which is lucky as I have replaced most of the LPG system at least once!!!)
    The 3.0v6 is relatively ok (nothing like the 3.4 which is a very much better engine) it does not like LPG that much and is a nightmare to set up and run properly. If you want to learn about all your electriocal system in laods of detail and how best to program ECU's the get the LPG conversion, otherwise stay clear!!!
    In/For the long run I would suggest the lexurf (and that can be converted to LPG and fairly sucessfuully I think)

Comment

I can say that the 2.7 petrol I'm running is very nice, quiet, decent MPG and a nice set of hair curlers in the glovebox.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
        If I ever get another petrol driven car I'll almost certainly get it converted to run on LPG. A mate of mine has recently qualified to do it and has said that he'd do it on the cheap if I wanted it doing.
        I used to have a LPG conversion Corsa van. It was awful. Ran fine and dandy on petrol but the second it switched to LPG it lunged forward at the loss of power. Every now and then I'd take it to be serviced, it would have all the filters and gubbins swapped and cleaned and went well but after a week it began to suffer and slowly but surely got worse and worse as the weeks went by.
        I bought my Surf, a Mk2 diesel, on e bay the day after I let a Mk3 petrol go for the same money.... because it had an LPG conversion. Never, and I mean never, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambobeer View Post
          I bought my Surf, a Mk2 diesel, on e bay the day after I let a Mk3 petrol go for the same money.... because it had an LPG conversion. Never, and I mean never, again.
          LOL, I'm not picking on you, honest, but for the second thread running I'm going to pull you up!

I converted my V8 pickup to run on LPG, and it didn't see a drop of petrol for 3 years, till I stopped using it. Was the best thing I ever done, was a daily driver, cheap to run, and mega reliable.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I bow to your superior knowledge Tony.

However, the thing I had wouldn't start on LPG. Automatically started on petrol and switched over within seconds when warm and after about quarter of a mile when cold. Was so poor I used to have to use an override switch to go back to petrol for steep hills, of which there are lots around here.
            This 'heap' was serviced far more often than it ought to have been as it was owned by the local authority and, effectively free to service. I used to take it in every other month.
            Maybe a V8 in a pick up is under less stress than a laden van with a small(I'm guessing 1600/ 1800) lump, maybe I just had a shocker.
            Still wouldn't have another.

Comment

Working...
            X