Motto: Don't start a job until .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motto: Don't start a job until .....

..... you've checked what tools you need - bugger !!

Set about changing front and rear transfer case output shaft seals this evening, as the ones I order from Roughtrax yesterday lunchtime hit the doormat while I was at work - great service.

After rapping a few knuckles on the propshaft bolts, finally got both props off and then saw the big nuts retaining the output flanges.

Numerous trips to the toolbox to find a bigger socket, until I ran out of choices.

What size socket do I need as I will have to buy one tomorrow and leave the Surf motionless for the time being ??

Also, the nuts are peened over into a groove on the stud and whilst I am happy to try to re-use these nuts, will I be able to 'strong arm' the nuts undone without trying to hammer the nut out of the groove first ?

Lots of threads resulted from search function re the oil seal replacement, but no mention of the size of the large retaining nut .... so hope someone can advise.

Thanks
    Nick...... Turning Japanese, I really think so !!

If you don't knock the locknut out first it'll rip when you undo it, making it no good to re-use. While you SHOULD use a new one everytime, reusing the old one lets you get it back in the right place, so you don't have to worry about over or under torquing it and ruining the pinion preload when you do it up.(assuming its right ATM of course)

I think they are 32mm, but don't take my word for it, will check later.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ok cheers Tony .... I was aware that the torque setting was critical on the oil seal nuts at the diff ends, but didn't realise the same applied to the T/Case ends too. Thanks for that.

Comment

Do NOT torque it! Re-fit the pinion nut in exactly the same position as it was before you removed it.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Ie; count the number of turns to remove each nut...I think Toni is looking for the diff pinion nuts, not the gearbox ones.....
          What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

The transfer case ones should be done the same way as diff. ones, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by meooo View Post
              Ie; count the number of turns to remove each nut...I think Toni is looking for the diff pinion nuts, not the gearbox ones.....
              Yeah I did, but they are the same size still, and need to be done up properly, but not so important as pinion nuts.

Comment

hehehe!! Toni.

Comment

Shaddup you, I'm rising above it, don't bring attention to it......

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    hehehe!! Toni.
                    Toni & Guy? (Only if it's a 3rd gen though...)

Comment

Job's done .... just.

My God those flange retaining nuts are tight (ooer) !! Used the trolley jack under a breaker bar method. Counted the nut turns off and on again.

Reason for oil leak on front end of T/Case was obvious.... metal spring inside seal was rusty and broken. Did the rear one as well just in case.

Retaining nuts are 30mm by the way, although no need for deep socket on these.

Out of interest, do you guys recommend using loctite on threads of propshaft nuts & bolts, or just ream 'em up good and tight?

Comment

If I was working on your truck, I'd loctite them; if I'm working on my own truck, I don't loctite them.

If you decide to use loctite, remember to clean the nut and bolt threads first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                          Toni & Guy? (Only if it's a 3rd gen though...)

I've heard a rumour that Toni aspires to 3rd gen ownership ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            If I was working on your truck, I'd loctite them; if I'm working on my own truck, I don't loctite them.

If you decide to use loctite, remember to clean the nut and bolt threads first.
                            I've done them now without loctite .... hopefully I will notice some vibration if they started to work loose! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

I've heard a rumour that Toni aspires to 3rd gen ownership ...

I've heard a rumour that Bio is turning that corner too
                              What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Working...
                              X