Engine swap question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap question.

Hi Guys, I drive a 3.0ltr 3rd gen and got a reminder for my road tax today (€1293) for the year. I can only think of one way to get around this and it's to swap in a smaller engine and either have an engineers report confirming the swap or bring it in for inspection. I'd like it to be as small as possible (1.6-1.8ltr) which would reduce the road tax considerably. The 3.0ltr could be chucked back in when finished. Anyone got any suggestions for a particular engine to use or indeed any other ideas ?
    Last edited by Bald Eagle; 9 July 2011, 01:35.

Comment

fill the back up with batteries and fit an electric motor then it will be a hybrid and i am sure the tax is cheaper or take out the engine and fit more batteries and the tax will be free

Comment

I've no idea if it's possible to do what you want easily but I suspect that if you do drop engine size you're going to end up with a vehicle that's ptetty much gutless or an engine that's being pushed to its limits. If you actually need the Surf probably be cheaper to forget the engine swap, get rid of the 3.0, get a 2.4 and purchase a sign that says "Slow Vehicle - Please Pass"

Realistically I'd suggest that you go back to basics so that people have an idea of your requirements ...

1. What do you need a vehicle for

2. What is your budget for a. purchase b. running costs

IF you actually need the power/functionality of the Surf then I'd suggest that you take the hit on the road tax and try to save some dosh elsewhere by running veg or going bio

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Bob's right, a 2.4 is hard to live with after driving a 3.0. Anything smaller would just be rubbish.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I think your all missing the point here.
            What he seems to be saying is , he wants to fit a smaller engine so it can be registered with a small engine for cheaper tax, then fit the 3.0l engine straight back in but not tell dvla so that he has a 3.0 but is paying cheaper tax for a smaller engine.
            So i don't think he's worried about a smaller engine being gutless as it will only be in the surf long enough to get paperwork for it lol
            Naughty naughty.
            PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

OK, I though he ment put the 3.0 later as in when selling it. I have just woken up, and foruming in bed with iPhone, things are a little fuzzy still....

Comment

Lol.
                You have an iphone! That's where you've gone wrong , I forgive you now you've explained your mistake lol
                PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

You could always fit one of these. As you can see, it's a V8, so even Bushwhacker would approve!........
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9zt3...eature=related

Or for that traditional "old timey" hot rod look, how about this.......
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvzw...eature=related
                  Last edited by MWS; 9 July 2011, 09:20.
                  " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

But that would be illegal !

Not to mention very naughty

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Eagle View Post
                      Hi Guys, I drive a 3.0ltr 3rd gen and got a reminder for my road tax today (€1293) for the year. I can only think of one way to get around this and it's to swap in a smaller engine and either have an engineers report confirming the swap or bring it in for inspection. I'd like it to be as small as possible (1.6-1.8ltr) which would reduce the road tax considerably. The 3.0ltr could be chucked back in when finished. Anyone got any suggestions for a particular engine to use or indeed any other ideas ?
                      Can't tell if trolling or just very... Oh wait, yes I can.

Comment

go the route i have, you'll find the boot is just about the right size to actually turn the truck into crewcab for tax purposes €288 a year...

Comment

Animal nailed it on the head. I've had two 2.4ltr Hiluxes and know how good the 3.oltr is in comparison. I'm also considering running on veg oil/biodiesel to save some money. Having to pay the thieving bast##ds €1293 for a years road tax makes me want to vomit. I just can't see the justification for it, it's equivalent to the tax on eight 1ltr cars with their combined emissions and I don't get to run an eight litre engine. Come on guys, some good tech help is what I need. And yeah I know I'm being naughty but...........f@*k them!

Comment

1293 euro road tax.................Kinnell... .........

Comment

No one should be encouraging you to break the law on a public forum.

Use your brains and rephrase the question so you don't drop yourself and others in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X