Virgin surfer going for a 2.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin surfer going for a 2.7

I guess I just want to say hello to the community that has provided me with so much info.

I have been hunting around for a new vechile for a few months and settled on getting an import. After much deliberation the surf seemed the best bet, then came hours of hunting on sites and reading forums.

Long story short, I found a really nice looking 2.7 1999 ssrx with 60k km on the clock and have taken the plunge. Would have liked a diesel but this looked a rare gem.

Hopefully I will get as much love out of it as alot of you have.

I have a question tho, being in a hot country (freezing now tho horrid winter) what would be recommended mods / tlc for the cooling system? This girl will need to do the occasional trailer tow, and off road trip but mostly tar travel.

Thanks
    Jon

Bought the buggar, also shameless bump for opinion on the cooling bit in my previous post, read on an Aussie site that something should perhaps be done but can't find it again or get response from them.

Cheers hope u all have a good weekend.

Comment

Welcome to Surf world... post some pictures when you can

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Cooling isn't such an issue with the 2.7 petrol as the much hotter running diesel antiques.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Welcome Jon. Here's hoping you've got yourself a great truck. Enjoy the site and have some fun......Cheers....Mick.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Congratulationissimo, I hope you wont act smug and say it does 6litres/100km

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Some sensible advice would be to possibly fit an auxilliary temp gauge that is wired to its own sender. This way you would have an advanced warning should something unlikely happen e.g split hose.

You could always give the system a flush if it hasn't been done in a while to make sure there is nothing that would block it.

It's recommended here that big tyres, towing or anything consistently strenuous that the auto gearbox fluid has a separate cooler rather than use the bottom of the engine water radiator. That being said I do not know if yours is an automatic or whether the 2.7s have a oil cooler in the radiator like the Diesel 2.4s and 3.0's. I'm sure someone will be along in a moment to correct me.

And welcome to the forum (:
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Cheers fellas,

Thanks for the advice as well. It is auto, I must say I am pretty confident it will be fine, mum has a prado similar age same engine. And dad and I thrashed it through some heavy offroad in a 1000km round trip with no issue.

Pics incoming later if it's ready for collection

Jon

Comment

Working...
                X