Throttle butterfly removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle butterfly removal

As I'll be completely removing the EGR, cannot see a requirement for the butterfly to be there at all. Has anyone on here removed theirs? Can it be done with the manifold still attached? How sensitive is the TPS, i.e. will I break it?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Yeah go ahead and remove it, it's just excess weight.
    You could remove the windscreen as well to save fuel as you won't need the air-con either.

I think you need to wear a hat when the sun is out.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
      cannot see a requirement for the butterfly to be there at all.
      How much of the inlet air system do we need?
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

You could drill some holes in it, Then it would become a Moth.

Comment

Ahh it's so sweet how you comfort me with sarcasm!
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

No sarcasm Tony me ol' mate. I'm just curious as to how much of the intake ststem you think we need.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              No sarcasm Tony me ol' mate. I'm just curious as to how much of the intake ststem you think we need.
              Just not that bit It's part of the EGR system. And is part of a failsafe design to stop the engine self-destructing IF an alternate source of fuel is being drawn in (engine oil). Secondly, few Diesel engines have them, even some 1KZ variants don't. The supposed extra MPG gained should be worth it providing it comes out easy.

The windscreen is handy as it stops bugs going in your mouth when you yawn. So I screwed it back in.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I'd happily get rid of it, you could then lose all the vacuun hoses to that side of the motor.

And it'll look just like a 4Runner.

A diesel sucks in as much air as it needs, the valves only introduce a vacuum for the EGR to work, and to shut the motor down smoothly when you turn it off.

I've also read there is an over rev or runaway system, that if the motor uncontrollably revs its tits off (say for drastic oil intake from a shot turbo bearing, piston ring or valve seal failing) it'll shut the valves to turn the motor off before it blows itself to bits even if the ignition is on.

On the other side, apart from if there is anything wrong with the system and it shutting when it shouldn't, I'm not sure of any avantage to be gained by getting rid of it all either.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

we used to jam open the butterflys on transits, ran 10 times better and cleaner, but as tony said it can stop a runaway engine , we rebulit a renault master dci engine that had runaway, blew a con rod in the side of the block , thought it was running on its own oil [turbo fluckrd] but terns out some nob had rebuilt the injectors wrongly and was injecting neat diesel into the engine, the only way we could stop it was to choke it from the inlet , pretty scary.
                  Last edited by lord lucan; 3 July 2011, 18:29.
                  JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                    we used to jam open the butterflys on transits, ran 10 times better and cleaner, but as tony said it can stop a runaway engine , we rebulit a renault master dci engine that runaway blew a con rod in the side of the block , thought it was running on its own oil [turbo fluckrd] but terns out some nob had rebuilt the injectors wrongly and was injecting neat diesel into the engine, the only way we could stop it was to choke it from the inlet , pretty scary.
                    Didn't the con. rod through the side of the block stop it?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      Didn't the con. rod through the side of the block stop it?
                      duno we wasnt there , we rebuilt it afterwards
                      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Couldn't have been that much left to rebuild....surely a new motor was called for?
                        What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

He has the technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK...eature=related

Comment

There is that risk, but a lot of Diesels aren't protected in this way. I've only heard of one other vehicle (a transit funny enough) that did this after accelerating from a 40 to a 60 zone. Reason being he overfilled it with engine oil so it was his own fault, really

There are reports of better MPG and a bit more Go so I'll see if it makes any difference when I remove it.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

3.0TD 4Runners, or all the 2.4 pickups don't have it. I wouldn't worry to much.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X