Egr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egr

I've had some blanking plates since '07 - '08 for disabling this. What's the best approach for getting rid? Looks a bit busy round there and what do I need to remove to do the job?
    Did a search, found little.

Looking at it earlier, looks like I need to remove the turbo pipes and sensors, the exhaust heat shield and then that might be enough room to get started. Does the vacuum valve come off with the EGR pipe? Any tips on removing it?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

It helps a lot if you have a 2" body lift otherwise it's a bit tight getting at it, you have to remove the crossover pipe that runs from the exhaust round the back to the inlet manifold, that has all the "EGR" boll0ks attached to it, just remove what you need to get at the bolts to this tube and remove the egr plate that has the electricle plugs on, i left the plugs and connections in place in case it upset the ECU and just bent over the vacume pipe and tied it,

without a body lift i'd imagine it'd be a right sod getting the tube out, dunno as i already had the lift,
    i also removed the inlet manifold as it was clogged up with black oily gunge,
    then just bolt on your blanking plates with some heat proof sealer or make two gaskets.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Its a lot easier on a 3.0, the exhaust manifold is the fiddliest, but you can normally get them if your careful and patient. I have a specially bend 6 point spaner to get then undone, then a stumpy ratchet spanner to undo them. The other end is easy.

Its only two nuts each end, then just block of the vacuum feed to the solenoid.

Its actually harder to undo with a body lift, as the handbrake bracket gets in the way of the bottom nut, but easier to get outwhen loose.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Are the nuts 14 mm? Got a little frustrated yesterday because I had parked on a hill and I'm not tall enough to see around the back even though I'm 6 ft!
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Turn the truck round so it's pointing the other way.

13mm I think.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Turn the truck round so it's pointing the other way.

13mm I think.
            And the winner of the most useless post award is....
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              And the winner of the most useless post award is....
              It's not a useless post, this one is, but the first one wasn't.

Comment

Explain one reason why you think it's not useless and I'll give you two reasons why it is
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You said you parked your truck on a hill and couldn't reach the back as you were too wee. If you turned it round, you might be able to reach.

And my EGR nuts are 13mm. So there you go, 2 reasons why the post was good.

Comment

All the info you need should be here:

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/articles.php?rid=6

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm

It can be a bit fiddly reaching the bottom nut by the turbo piping but it is quite managable without needing to strip anything else off the truck. Try getting at it from underneath or through the wheel arch. I can't remember how I did it in the end but I do remember using lots of extension pieces and the longest spanners I had to hand...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      You said you parked your truck on a hill and couldn't reach the back as you were too wee. If you turned it round, you might be able to reach.

And my EGR nuts are 13mm. So there you go, 2 reasons why the post was good.
                      LOL
                      I did think of turning it around but couldnt do it at the time due to how other people had parked in the road :/.

13 is unlucky so Japanese don't use things relating to that number, i.e. they don't use 13mm on bolts and dont make buildings with 13th floor. Still, this is an amazing discovery
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        All the info you need should be here:

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/articles.php?rid=6

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm

It can be a bit fiddly reaching the bottom nut by the turbo piping but it is quite managable without needing to strip anything else off the truck. Try getting at it from underneath or through the wheel arch. I can't remember how I did it in the end but I do remember using lots of extension pieces and the longest spanners I had to hand...
                        Thanks for this! Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Now I can see what I need to be looking for rather than reaching round for a feel. The confusing bit is the vacuum valve. I wasn't sure how that operated as I couldn't see it.
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                          dont make buildings with 13th floor.
                          Do they just leave a gap?

Comment

That's weird given that unlucky 13 is a Christian superstition ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post
                              That's weird given that unlucky 13 is a Christian superstition ...
                              The Chinese don't like it because the digits sum to 4 and 4 is their unluckiest number. No idea why the Japanese don't like it.

I've seen 13mm headed nuts and bolts on dozens of Japanese cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X