Vauxhall combo gear oil question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vauxhall combo gear oil question?

Hi all, "yes I know it's a surf site" but I have a quick question.
    I'm about to change a drive shaft oil seal & the oil required for topping up is "vauxhall/opel number 09 120 541", does anybody know the equivalent from a motor factor.

Cheers si.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

3 in 1 oil is good enough for a Vauxhall.

Comment

It'll tell you on the cans, GL4 spec is a good general gear oil, but you'll need GL5 if its a diff as will, as thats for hypoid gears.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        3 in 1 oil is good enough for a Vauxhall.
        I've just filled it with some 3in1 that I had lying around & now it's chattering like mad, should I add a bit more?

Hope I've not knackered it.

Comment

Vauxhall's all chatter. They're like auld fishwives, always gossiping, smelly and mostly useless these days.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Vauxhall's all chatter. They're like auld fishwives, always gossiping, smelly and mostly useless these days.
            Hey it's not a bad old bus & I'm saving around £80 per week as I no longer have to use the surf for work.

Comment

75/90 gear oil...you probably wont lose much tho. Its easiest to remove the vent on top of the gearbox to re-fill it, have the level plug out and fill until it runs out, it'll then settle to the correct level.
              What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                Hi all, "yes I know it's a surf site" but I have a quick question.
                I'm about to change a drive shaft oil seal & the oil required for topping up is "vauxhall/opel number 09 120 541", does anybody know the equivalent from a motor factor.

Cheers si.
                Hello Si. I'm guessing that its an F17 box that you've got. A decent quality hypoid gear oil will be fine, (as tony said, it's a gearbox and diff combined). One thing to watch for, is not to let the oil level run low, because they have a tendency to burn 5th gears out.....Cheers....Mick.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by meooo View Post
                  75/90 gear oil...you probably wont lose much tho. Its easiest to remove the vent on top of the gearbox to re-fill it, have the level plug out and fill until it runs out, it'll then settle to the correct level.
                  Originally posted by MWS View Post
                  Hello Si. I'm guessing that its an F17 box that you've got. A decent quality hypoid gear oil will be fine, (as tony said, it's a gearbox and diff combined). One thing to watch for, is not to let the oil level run low, because they have a tendency to burn 5th gears out.....Cheers....Mick.
                  Well it turns out it's Manual transmission oil "the red stuff" that should be used, I just happened to mention it to a friend who told me so went to vauxhall To be safe.

Thanks for the duff info.

TBH I'd have said gear oil but would have spotted it when changing the
                  seal.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                    Well it turns out it's Manual transmission oil "the red stuff" that should be used, I just happened to mention it to a friend who told me so went to vauxhall To be safe.

Thanks for the duff info.

TBH I'd have said gear oil but would have spotted it when changing the
                    seal.
                    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
                    X