HELP, they are trying to get me to buy an Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malenibo,

Any chance of a photo of your hamster basket... Thinking about the same for a cargo barrier, to protect the glass and passengers from object moving around...

AndyL

Comment

My parents had two Explorers when we lived in the Caribbean. First one was a 1991 model which I think was their debut year. After four years parked next to the beach it did start to rust! After 2 years the central locking died and the starter motor was shagged. Can't comment on the handling as I didn't drive it much and the most of the roads had a 20mph speed limit. 4WD eventually started to make horrible noises but mother did spend some time driving around town in 4 low one day. And I don't think it ever got serviced in 4 years of a punishing environment. Not to mention we towed a saling boat with it and had 2 dogs.

We sold that and got a brand new 1995 Explorer Limited with all the leather and stuff. Only had it for a year before we left but didn't miss a beat.
      However, it must have been 1992 (I was about 12) when the owner of the local liquor store imported a brand new jet black 4Runner....... always wanted one since then which is why I bought a Surf

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
        Malenibo,

Any chance of a photo of your hamster basket... Thinking about the same for a cargo barrier, to protect the glass and passengers from object moving around...

AndyL
        Andy HAMSTER BASKET as requested looks more like a cage to me LOL
        Attached Files
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Marky,

I know that we always say that we are only going to take a tooth brush, swimming trunks and a change of underwear... but that is about all I would get in there... and I don't think the hamsters would like it...

did make me laugh though.

andyL
          Last edited by AndyLala; 28 July 2004, 23:37.

Comment

I submit...

Okay, the big sticks have worked all memories of Explorers have vanished, about as quickly as the petrol gauge would.....

The importer is having issues with getting his vehicles, not sure why, technical importing legal stuff probably.

He does have a customer that is selling a 1993 (L) reg, manual, UK surf? 130k miles, lots of services and I quote 'a nice example'. The garage is trustworthy and I know he would not sell or arrange a dog, but the question begs, 130k on the clock, is that not a little high for mileage??

Also I did not think there were UK surfs.

Comment

Originally posted by coggie2k
              Okay, the big sticks have worked all memories of Explorers have vanished, about as quickly as the petrol gauge would.....

The importer is having issues with getting his vehicles, not sure why, technical importing legal stuff probably.

He does have a customer that is selling a 1993 (L) reg, manual, UK surf? 130k miles, lots of services and I quote 'a nice example'. The garage is trustworthy and I know he would not sell or arrange a dog, but the question begs, 130k on the clock, is that not a little high for mileage??

The uk version is a 4 Runner Not a surf, the 4 Runner does not have aircon,cup holders and a few other bits and pieces which I can't remember(I'm sure some one else will fill in the blanks).

130k is not to bad on a 3lt diesel so long as it has been looked after properly.
              It is a diesel and not the v6 petrol??????????

It costs you nowt to have a look.
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

The UK "Surf" is called a 4 Runner. They are 3.0 and can be petrol or deisel. Same build quality etc as the surf, but it will have spent it's life in wet England and so may carry more rust than an equivilent import. Guess you have to decide on the basis of milage and condition v cost etc.

He may mean an Imported surf that has been in the UK for a while - if so you need to find out exactly why its being sold. If it's a 2.4 and the guy hasn't had it that long consider that maybe he's binning it coz he's had overheating probs.... Now it may be straight and a good buy (I'm just a suspicious soul..) and our 4 runner has 220k on the engine and is still going strong so dont necessarily write it off due to the milage if everything else looks good!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

I am assuming the 4 runner is a diesel, otherwise I am not going to make much of a saving in the fuel costs over the X.

As for the spec, I was really hoping for aircon as the pup is a big hairy monster and suffers in the heat, how effective is the rear window being open at keeping the vehicle cool without making it too noisy to hear the stereo/constant nagging about the speed/directions/driving style etc...?

Comment

I am assuming the 4 runner is a diesel, otherwise I am not going to make much of a saving in the fuel costs over the X.

As for the spec, I was really hoping for aircon as the pup is a big hairy monster and suffers in the heat, how effective is the rear window being open at keeping the vehicle cool without making it too noisy to hear the stereo/constant nagging about the speed/directions/driving style etc...?
                    Having the tailgate window open causes very little noise but can however draw exhaust fumes in, many here have modded their exhaust slightly to exit at the side to prevent this.
                    If you have a sunroof however and open this along with the rear window the airflow is terrific (with no fumes coming in), especially as some have a deflector on the sunroof with a small section in the centre which you can rotate to act as a mini scoop, this then buckets air into the car, and on out thru the tailgate, feels as airy as a convertable, but without as much wind roar.
                    My last Surf had such a sunroof, my current one does not. It may not seem like an essential item but having experienced both in a Surf, next time I would certainly try to hold out for one with a sunroof to get that thruflow of air.
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

All the windows, including tailgate, are elec so plenty of options to keep cool. Only open the tailgate window if all the others are open, if not the fumes will flow in through the rear.
                      As for the noise, i have the rear windows open alot and their seems to be little noise, the shields help. If you get one with A/C you have in the rear of center console a fan switch to boost the air to the rear.
                      I would still drive the X to see what you think but as said on here many times the Surf is a tough act to beat.
                      Good luck..................muncher

Comment

Originally posted by muncher
                        Only open the tailgate window if all the others are open, if not the fumes will flow in through the rear.
                        Unless you have a rear spoiler in which case the fumes dont come in at all.....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                          Unless you have a rear spoiler in which case the fumes dont come in at all.....

I wish, had spoiler on my 2nd Gen, still got some fumes, on 3rd Gen with spoiler also get fumes, all the more noticable coz of the veggie , mind you the fact that the last few feet of exhaust currently resemble a teabag can't be helping either.....
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                          X