The FIAT's arrived!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
    The fiat was and still is an Italian car...or at least it looks and feels it is.

The mini is German....I get what your saying....but still German.
    i think you misunderstood me... i ###### hate the new mini and the new beetle they have (in my eyes) spoilt the originals i still like the original mini's look and the original beetle for that matter not because they were innovative cars in the day, as it were but because they have survived so long without major changes until the respective owners of each car decided to bring them into the 21st century spoiling the classic (or cult) status IMO
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
      i think you misunderstood me... i ###### hate the new mini and the new beetle they have (in my eyes) spoilt the originals i still like the original mini's look and the original beetle for that matter not because they were innovative cars in the day, as it were but because they have survived so long without major changes until the respective owners of each car decided to bring them into the 21st century spoiling the classic (or cult) status IMO
      Sorry...I was not to clear either....at least we agree..
      .... Which was nice.

Comment

:yawn:

Lame....

(IMO, of course.. )

Enjoy it though, at least it fits up your street.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Sorry...I was not to clear either....at least we agree..
          Nae worries mate i do like my old cars though, yes they were very basic but at least you could fix it at the roadside (yes i too owned an austin maxi) something you can't really do with a modern car unless, you have access to OBD or canbus scanners then you'll need a bank loan just to buy the offending sensor

Comment

I do still have soft spot for an original mini with a tuned mg turbo lump in it but the wife and funds won't allow it

Nah forget that old lump of unreliable pig iron, it's the Honda V-TECH engine you want in there. It's been done hundreds of times now, the most 'bang for buck' although the torque steer can launch it into the nearest hedge sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Nah forget that old lump of unreliable pig iron, it's the Honda V-TECH engine you want in there. It's been done hundreds of times now, the most 'bang for buck' although the torque steer can launch it into the nearest hedge sometimes!
              Sounds interesting...Trouble is finding a good mini shell to graft it into? Oh cr@p i better get off this subject before the 3rd gen gets sold for a project......

Comment

I saw a perfect example of an original 500 last year at a show, I'm way too big to fit in it and enjoy it but just having it in the garage would make me feel slightly smug.

Not this one, but same model.

Those new ones are getting tweaked a bit.

but..........oh dear.....

Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                  I saw a perfect example of an original 500 last year at a show, I'm way too big to fit in it and enjoy it but just having it in the garage would make me feel slightly smug.

Not this one, but same model.

Those new ones are getting tweaked a bit.

but..........oh dear.....

Do ya think with the revival of the 500 they might start trying the hippy movement again? In the last pic it looks like they are trying...

Comment

Sounds interesting...Trouble is finding a good mini shell to graft it into? Oh cr@p i better get off this subject before the 3rd gen gets sold for a project......
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFK5L...eature=related

Sold our '95 1.3i Mini last year for £250! It was in my way in the garage, been there five years waiting for me to re-spray it after replacing the 'A' panels and front wing.

Comment

Nae worries mate i do like my old cars though, yes they were very basic but at least you could fix it at the roadside (yes i too owned an austin maxi) something you can't really do with a modern car unless, you have access to OBD or canbus scanners then you'll need a bank loan just to buy the offending sensor
                      Shhhhhh.......a couple of months ago I had 7 classic fiat pandas...I'm down to 3 now and one of those will be sold soon. I've had therapy...
                      .... Which was nice.

Comment

Shhhhhh.......a couple of months ago I had 7 classic fiat pandas...I'm down to 3 now and one of those will be sold soon. I've had therapy...
                        Strangely enough one of the local lads (21) has a 1989 panda that hasn't been welded through rusting out (unusual for the panda) He's probably had it for nearly two years and he rags the ass end out of it but, it's taken all his abuse and neglect and still keeps going, This year though he has spent a lot on replacing everything on the suspension, brakes including drums, discs and master cylinder, plus all the lower arm bushes basically everything except the engine and shell has been replaced. I reckon he has done well since he bought the car for £100 with nine month's t+t.

Comment

Well, I've had two 'new' minis and an old 500. My mum had an old 500 when I was a kid and my dad and brother have new 500s now.

I agree the new mini is nothing like an old mini and shouldn't pretend to be, but it's a great car and, in a slightly odd way, doesn't get the respect it deserves because people see it as a #### poor copy of an old mini, rather than a new car.

As for the new 500, I like it. It may just be a Ford Ka, but we all know the Ka is a very capable car, it just looks rubbish and seems to have no soul. Put a nicer body on it and tart up the interior and you have something much better. I approve of the choice. I'll stick to a mini myself, but I definitely approve.

Comment

Well, Andy, since everyone is posting their favourite pics of 500's, then here's mine. Im on my fourth one and still dont like them!................Hope you have more luck with them than I've had.....Cheers....Mick........ ......P.S. The one in the pic wasn't one of mine!
                            Attached Files
                            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

You beat me too it!!!! faster, more reliable, and more satisfying as the revs climb. I'd also like to see a rotory mini

We have a very good mini for sale, (a proper shaped one) if anyone is interested.No rust and garaged for the last 11 years or so.
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Strangely enough one of the local lads (21) has a 1989 panda that hasn't been welded through rusting out (unusual for the panda) He's probably had it for nearly two years and he rags the ass end out of it but, it's taken all his abuse and neglect and still keeps going, This year though he has spent a lot on replacing everything on the suspension, brakes including drums, discs and master cylinder, plus all the lower arm bushes basically everything except the engine and shell has been replaced. I reckon he has done well since he bought the car for £100 with nine month's t+t.
                                Oddly enough pandas don't really rust. The only real rust is the bottom of the doors. Yep you can abuse them and they love to be ragged around. The FIRE engine was the one built by robots and built spot on. When fiat said they were to stop making them in 1994 the italians voted with their wallets and fiat were forced to carry on making them till 2001. They stopped in the uk in 1994. Can you guess I love them?....
                                .... Which was nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X