Finally sorted a new 3rd gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally sorted a new 3rd gen

Very pleased with my new truck. Pics to follow soon.

Insurance company still not paid out and think £2200 is the average price of a 3rd gen.

Need advice on 2 things.

When selecting 4wd using the button, the lights flash, there is clonking sounds from below but the lights never stop flashing and indicate its engaged. However when selecting using the lever it works as it should. I had a quick search but no conclusive answers. Ill have i further rummage.

Second thing.

Brakes dont seem to be as effective as they should be. Had new pads and discs last year. There is quite alot of travel in the brake pedal. Bleeding will be my first check.
    Last edited by Matt.n.p; 24 June 2011, 14:42.

Mine sometimes wouldnt stop flashing for about 3 mins but I found if the wheels were straight and it was moving it usually went into 4wd no problem and the lights stayed lit until it was switched off.

Brakes probably need bled and fluid might need topped up. If the pedal is slowly moving towards the floor while your stopped at lights your master cylinder will need to be replaced!

Someone more intelligent will be along shortly to give you better advice!! Lol

Comment

I spent ages trying to get 4wd to engage, moving, stopped, reversed. Think something amiss somewhere.

Comment

Hi Matt..... Good to hear your sorted with a new truck... I will have to pop down and see you again to check it out. Or let us know when your in uckfield.

3rd gen so no idea about your flashing 4x4 lights...
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

I did not realise you had changed you name untill now. Like the name. Shes a bit of a street queen at the moment because as she has 20" alloys and low profile tyres but thatll all change.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.n.p View Post
            I did not realise you had changed you name untill now. Like the name. Shes a bit of a street queen at the moment because as she has 20" alloys and low profile tyres but thatll all change.
            Post up some before and after shots!

If it's got 20" chrome spinning 'dubs' or whatever the kids call them on it, it's probably never had 4wd engaged, mine took a while to engage at first, but it gets quicker everytime. I press the 4wd button whilst slightly accelerating and take my foot off the throttle after a few seconds to engage mine.

Cheers,

CURLY

Comment

I thought mine was a bit 'iffy' when I was engaging 4 wd during the snowy spell earlier this year, however after some good tips from Bushwhacker everything was fine, there's a bit of a knack to it. I'll see if I can find the old post.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Found it here.
                'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Click the button while driving and just knock in into nertal for a seconf then back into drive same to disengage, if that still doesn't work then get underneath with a jetwash and WD40 :-)
                  Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Thanks for replys. My last 3rd gen went into 4wd within a few seconds. Ill purservere and try some suggested techniques.

Cheers guys

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                      Click the button while driving and just knock in into nertal for a seconf then back into drive same to disengage, if that still doesn't work then get underneath with a jetwash and WD40 :-)
                      That did the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt.n.p View Post
                        That did the job.
                        Not sure which one you did but assdume the netraul as it just takes the pressure off the 4wd system for a second and allows it to slip in, glad us old landy drivers can still be of help to you surfers...:-p

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
                          Not sure which one you did but assdume the netraul as it just takes the pressure off the 4wd system for a second and allows it to slip in, glad us old landy drivers can still be of help to you surfers...:-p
                          Yer the neutral trick did the job. Thanks for that.

I've never driven a landrover. How do you find they compare.

Comment

On road shite off slightly better than my lifted 3rd gen but no where near as comfortable (have a 110) but loads more practical as a second (well 3rd) car and more fun to drive short local trips :-)

Much more fun to mod as it don't have to look pretty to still be cool too!

Comment

Working...
                            X