Here's a new one then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a new one then

Was pulled over on the way home from Portsmouth today and into the BP / Starbucks on the A3. When he explained why I was pulled over he said because of the wheels. I realised then that they do stick out too far with the spacers on (I knew this all along but hasn't bothered anyone locally, or myself). I explained the spacers situation and we had a friendly chat about how they can pull people under and drag them along

While him, the bike, 2 marked police cars and at least one other policeman had a Starbucks, I removed the spacers and refitted the wheels.

When I happily mentioned that it's fine now, they said "no, it's still isn't right". They went on to explain:
    - that they still stick out about an inch too far. The tread starts on the side wall (AT2's) and thats where the arch has to cover.

I knew they were wrong but couldn't think on the spot how. As they were letting me drive off anyway they reminded me they should be pulling me off the road and onto the back of a lorry to go through a series of rigorous inspections.

Now that I'm home, I remembered that they were wrong because although the tread must be covered by an arch, it is actually the tread that is in contact with the road that is taken into account. I remember reading this somewhere. Cannot remember if on here or if at my Uncles MOT garage.

On a plus side, I got to enjoy the only sunshine we've had in about two months doing some work on the truck. Even if it was outside a rather busy service station on the A3
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Only sunshine?...... Are you a vampire?
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
      Only sunshine?...... Are you a vampire?
      Yes, but I just receive regular deliveries from the NHS blood centre so I'm harmless really.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Pain in the ar$e with the spacers..... I must stay out of surrey ...Sussex has been roasting hot.??
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

What size were the wheel spacers?

I can't imagine at what point when driving along, you all of a sudden find yourself in a situation, catching hold of a pedestrian by the tyre thread and dragging them off down the road.
          What a load of bull. I've never heard of that one before.
          Yet again cops talking sh*te. Just like the one that kept me for 90mins last week in Holyhead making me miss my flight home later that day

Comment

To be fair, they have a job to do. The problem is some of them don't have the mind set to apply common sense or reasoning to those responsibilities. This leaves us, regular people in a position where we oppose almost everything they do.
            Another instance, I was pulled over and asked to turn the engine off. I tried to explain that I could not switch off as the starter motor was too hot and he would have to assist in a bump start. (MK1 XR2). He shook his head and told me to turn it off. Then mid way through taking my details, they got a call and said "see ya", Batman style into their car and off they went. At 2am it took me ###### ages to push it enough to bump start on my own. Funny looking back at it though.

Overland Tonka, it's been raining every day for as long as I can remember. Downpour on Saturday flooded a lot of roads around Guildford and where I live. Docklands where I work has also had a lot of rain and wind!

The wheel spacers are 30mm. When I fitted my 15x10's I just didnt bother to take them off Someone might put them back on.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I think you will find that they are right in what they are saying.If the tread goes down the side wall then the arches have to cover the complete tyre width.If no tread is on the side wall then the arches have to just cover the tread on the tyre.i had this conversation with the police when i was pulled in Lucifer.All you ned to do is to go on ebay and find some decent cheap thick rubber and attach that to the wheel arches so it comes level with the tread on the sidewall
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Any written documentation to back this up mate?
                I recall reading that only the rubber that touches the road has to be covered or protected by an arch. The document then goes on to explain that of the front wheel which had turned. Even a standard car, with a turned wheel has tyre and tread protruding beyond the wheel arch and this is not counted. Suspension was also explained.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Would the tread on the side wall have to be the legal minimum depth if it's being counted as part of the tyres tread? Sounds a bit ropey to me, and as for dragging people under the truck?
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

The info that you're after is here.

I did a quick forum search because I remember posting it before.

Having read through the relevant info again all it talks about is wheel projection (not including tyre, disc or nut) so I suppose the tyre tread can stick out as far as you like as long as it matches the width of the wheel (ie you can have tread sticking out as long as the wheel doesn't stick out beyond the arches - and that the tyres are a suitable match to the wheels and not oversized)

That's the way I see it anyway. PC Plod may well see it differently and it's usually best to just smile, be co-operative and agree with any reasonable demands so you have a quiet life. You can always call them a bunch of (insert abuse here) and have a rant when you get home!
                    Last edited by Rustinho; 22 June 2011, 00:28.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      Would the tread on the side wall have to be the legal minimum depth if it's being counted as part of the tyres tread? Sounds a bit ropey to me, and as for dragging people under the truck?
                      In that case I'm probably illegal with regards to tread, in their eyes!
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Always been told its its just tread, not sidewall bulge, but where you have sidewall blocks then its could get iffy.

Others have said its only tread actually touching the road that has to be covered, but once you to start to get to that sort of 'discussion' Mr Plod will have got the hump for questioning him and you never win at the side of the road and isn't worth the hassle.

At worse get the ticket, fix it or prove it complies at a VOSA Test Center and keep the paperwork in the car for next time.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Throw some of these on, and they probably won't notice the tread...

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Henry, surely those can't be very effective ? I've always preferred the blades as fitted to chariots in days of yore ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                              throw some of these on, and they probably won't notice the tread...

[img][/img]
                              THATS OUTRAGEOUS! Have you seen how far out the tyre is protruding on the vehicle in the background!.....Cheers....Mick .
                              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
                              X