Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

Hi, i have almost had my 2.4 surf for a year. Two weeks ago the RAC sent it to a garage with a suspected head gasket problem. Since then i have had the gasket replaced, the timing belt replaced, the water pump replaced and told the head needed skimming to get the gasket to seal properly. On sending the head away i have been told that it is cracked internally. Am i just throwing money away now or is it worth sticking with it and getting it repaired. My main concern is that my gearbox can sometimes play up and not go into reverse, if this goes once head problem is fixed, then i am broke and unable to fix it further. Other problems i have are not working passenger front and driver rear window (told this is a contact switch problem), A/C never worked since bought it, back window wont work as light comes on to say door is open (WD40 fixes this for about a month) I really love this heap of truck and really want to be told she is worth it. anyone who can advise or offer help would be most appreciated. I am evesham based. Thank you Also the central locking doesn't work as the key wont turn fully only enough to unlock the drivers door.

Depends how much they are charging you, good 2.4 heads are pretty cheap these days. Roughtrax are sub £400, plus bolts, gaskets and £300 for labour you shouldn't be paying more £800 all in. (based on my labour charge, can't speak for other garages)

You won't get much for a truck with busted head, especially with other issues, £250-300 is the max i'd pay for a broken 2.4, thats a good one with everything else working.

Having said that, max of £1000 should get you a nice 2.4 with a replaced head and no gearbox/window issues, so tough call.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If you can't do the work yourself then it's probably better to sell it on as a non runner and put the money you get (£300 - £400) and the money you would have spent on getting a new head fitted (£1000 ish) towards getting a nice 3.0.

edit - didn't know rtrax heads were so cheap these days (£450 inc vat) so that changes things a bit. tbh I'd still let it go and get a 3.0.
      Last edited by wishbone; 15 June 2011, 21:38.

Comment

if you get the head done then you will have a decent truck which will go on for a long time.Get the head from roughtrax or the engine company so you know its a decent head.You will need new head bolts aswell.I would also have the water pump replaced and the tensioner etc for timing belt
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

@stormforce

Thank you. I bought new head bolts with the head gasket set and yes i am havingthe water pump and timing belt done as well. The timing belt i bought as the kit so it comes with the tensioner etc. Bought all parts from Milners offroad in Oxford, their built up heads are out of stock but their bare heads are £225 + VAT and delivery. I cannot find any contact details for Stevo, so any help there would be brilliant. Budget is very tight but even with all this bill is coming in about £850 (£300 + Vat for labour) i can't afford a new car and as the garage have already put in so many hours labour i would still need to pay for that, which would be dead money if i walk away now.

Comment

If they've had the head off and missed the crack then I'd be wanting them to help towards taking it off again!

Or have I misread your post? Has the head been off already or not?

Comment

Well you got the answer you wanted in the end

Comment

@TonyN

Hi, the garage went to fit the new head gasket on and said that it wasn't a flush seal, therefore the head would need refacing and to do that they had to send it away to the engineering people. Once the head got there that company said the couldn't reface it as it was cracked internally - so the head was taken off only when it went for refacing, the garage hadn't done anything to the head and said that they couldn't have known if it was cracked internally before this. The are an RAC approved garage but also seem genuine people and are trying to keep labour costs down for me. Original quote was £276 + Vat for 6 hours work, even with all this hassle they said they will only charge £300+VAT ( don't know how it will be affected by getting a bare head but i can't afford a built up one even though i am desperate for truck back, got 2 young kids and being stuck at home is a nightmare.

edit: they haven't refitted the head, they rang me to say it was cracked and are waiting for me to decide whether to get a new one or not.
                Last edited by twiggy; 15 June 2011, 22:43.

Comment

@wishbone

lol i usually do (btw this is my husbands account, i haven't registered myself)

on an aside do you think the reverse gear problem could be to do with the oil? I didn't even realise until coming on here that there was oil in the gearbox. Can i check it myself?

Comment

OK, thats makes more sence. Personally I buy built heads as it takes me longer labour wise to build them up than the extra amount of the built head so check with garage first what they are estimating to charge. There's not any short cuts for getting the right the valve shims fitted, its quite tedious and time consuming, thats before checking and cleaning all the valves.

I have never seen anything but cracked heads on 2.4's, the only time is been a gasket or warped head is fixing badly installed ones, so not questioning the garage's recomendations, I only would have done that if they'd said it was only a gasket or skim needed.

Originally posted by twiggy View Post
                    @TonyN

Hi, the garage went to fit the new head gasket on and said that it wasn't a flush seal, therefore the head would need refacing and to do that they had to send it away to the engineering people. Once the head got there that company said the couldn't reface it as it was cracked internally - so the head was taken off only when it went for refacing, the garage hadn't done anything to the head and said that they couldn't have known if it was cracked internally before this. The are an RAC approved garage but also seem genuine people and are trying to keep labour costs down for me. Original quote was £276 + Vat for 6 hours work, even with all this hassle they said they will only charge £300+VAT ( don't know how it will be affected by getting a bare head but i can't afford a built up one even though i am desperate for truck back, got 2 young kids and being stuck at home is a nightmare.

edit: they haven't refitted the head, they rang me to say it was cracked and are waiting for me to decide whether to get a new one or not.

Comment

@TonyN

Thanks, the garage only worked on the gasket as that is what the RAC told them, they discovered it needed skimming on changing the gasket, as it wouldn't fit back on and in removing everything they needed to they found the crack in the water pump too which led them to suggest that the head may have a problem if it had been running without water.

Comment

Sounds to me the garage are being very good . As some garages I have known would have bolted the damaged head on and then spent 3 days trying to stop it blowing water and steam out and then charge you for the pleasure. It is down to you and funds and if you feel you can justify spending the money on the truck . As Tony says , best buy a fully pre built head as these are set up and ready to go . If they are set up wrong by a garage not familiar with the work it could cost you more to put right after.
                        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

@vagrant no2

I do feel quite assured that the garage are being very good to me. Milners haven't got the built up heads in at the minute so garage are finding out how much their engineering company will charge to fit parts to a bare head, if it is just as expensive then i will have to go for built up head from roughtrax as i still can't find any details anywhere for Stevo.

Comment

Stevo
                            Engine co ltd
                            Stockport
                            Telephone: 0161 476 6144
                            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                            My choice
                            Back off

Comment

Originally posted by twiggy View Post
                              @TonyN

Thanks, the garage only worked on the gasket as that is what the RAC told them, they discovered it needed skimming on changing the gasket, as it wouldn't fit back on and in removing everything they needed to they found the crack in the water pump too which led them to suggest that the head may have a problem if it had been running without water.

I still would have thought they may have done their own checks etc ??

Bit like the RAC taking a car in and saying the brakes dont work its the pads, garage change the pads, no different and then find the servo is knackered!
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

Working...
                              X