yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stabiliser bars for towing - do they work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabiliser bars for towing - do they work?

My Missus has just bought herself a new horse trailer (Cheval Liberte for those who know about these things) after turning over her previous (Rice) one on the local dual carriageway in April.
    Understandably she is pretty nervous about towing again and would like to be able to minimise the chances of the trailer snaking out of control again.
    I have seen stabiliser bars advertised for caravans - do these work and can they be fitted to a horse trailer?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Hi Mark
    I don't know about the stabilizer bar, I would think that it would work as long as the hitch on the h/box and caravan were of a similar size. As far as i know from people who do use them they do help but to what extent i'm not sure. How are you getting on with your truck now? I know you were sorting out the cooler last time did it all go back ok? I still haven't got around to fitting the dvd yet, I am trying to get sensible quote for the 3rd gen but they are being very silly with the prices £220 in october for my 2nd gen and now they want £1020 for the 3rd gen with nothing changed but the vehicle, It just does't make sense
    Cheers
    Tony
    Last edited by tonupteabag; 14 June 2011, 13:52.
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Tony,
      Thanks for the reply.
      The oil cooler is fitted and seems to be doing a good job. It is surprising how hot it gets after a motorway run on a warm day.
      My replacement truck is pretty much up to scratch now. I have fitted new dampers all round and polybushed the rear suspension to keep everything as taut as possible. The only thing left to get working is the aftermarket water temperature gauge.

Don't know why your insurance is so steep. Ours was about £250 with Aviva last October. However, I am worried about our next renewal cost following claim for the write off in April.

Cheers,
      Mark

Comment

"but they are being very silly with the prices £220 in october for my 2nd gen and now they want £1020 for the 3rd gen with nothing changed but the vehicle, It just does't make sense"

Makes sense to me, we're being shafted, why do you think the law has been changed to compulsory insurance unless you can sorn your motors, you have to have it unless you have a garage, no garage = pay through the nose for the pleasure of having a vehicle, and all legal too, legalized extortion. H

Comment

Stabilisers do work BUT they won't stop you having an accident if you're badly loaded, travelling too fast or generally acting like a muppet ...

I've never towed a horsebox but given the size I'd say they were vulnerable to crosswinds and 'wash' from large or fast vehicles overtaking. In addition I suspect that if Dobbin gets a bit lively then you're likely to have a problem.

I'd advise fitting a stabiliser AND getting some real world advice from an existing horse tugger

PS
          There are different types of stabiliser - the simplest to use are the Alko 2004/3004 models BUT you may need to change your tow ball to use them

Good luck

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 14 June 2011, 18:44.
          Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
            "but they are being very silly with the prices £220 in october for my 2nd gen and now they want £1020 for the 3rd gen with nothing changed but the vehicle, It just does't make sense"

Makes sense to me, we're being shafted, why do you think the law has been changed to compulsory insurance unless you can sorn your motors, you have to have it unless you have a garage, no garage = pay through the nose for the pleasure of having a vehicle, and all legal too, legalized extortion. H
            I think you have hit the proverbial on the head H, We are stiffed every time we have any form of motorized vehicle, Be it fuel, parts,insurance, road tax, basically if you drink, smoke and drive your going to get stiffed! well not all at once mind that's illegal
            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you want something that can help keep a trailer in line then try this link: http://www.sasproducts.com/acatalog/Straightliner_Stabiliser.html

I've had one for my caravan for about five years. It really does the job and will force a swaying van back in line if it starts to weave, but doesn't stop you from turning corners easily, although on tight turns it can graunch a bit! Expensive but worth every penny to me; and the wife won't tow the caravan with the Surf without it fitted.
              Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                My Missus has just bought herself a new horse trailer (Cheval Liberte for those who know about these things) after turning over her previous (Rice) one on the local dual carriageway in April.
                Understandably she is pretty nervous about towing again and would like to be able to minimise the chances of the trailer snaking out of control again.
                I have seen stabiliser bars advertised for caravans - do these work and can they be fitted to a horse trailer?
                Thanks,
                Mark
                Hi Mark. If your good lady is understandably nervous about towing again, has she considered contacting one of the many LGV training organisations. Many of them offer training in catagories, BE, C1E and D1E vehicle and trailer. They may be able to tailor a short refresher course to her particular needs, teach her how to stay out of trouble, keep her safer in future, and importantly, allow her to regain her confidence......Good luck....Cheers....Mick.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

A woman......towing!

OMG.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked up the Alko and Straightliner and they seem to be around the £200. If they stop another accident then it would be money well spent.
                    MWS - More training would be a good idea. Ann had a couple of lessons with a local chap before we bought the first trailer but I think a refresher might be in order.
                    Cheers,
                    Mark

Comment

Training is a good idea but make sure the trainer understands the foibles of towing livestock !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                      X