Sometimes you get lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes you get lucky

MOT time and no working back foglight, now as these things are aftermarket fittings God only knows the wiring was done and were the power was sourced from, after tracing the cable back up the vehicle to the switch I took part of the dash off... the Gods of Toyota had smiled on me...
    a spade connector had come off.... all good now

Back in the day Baby

Nice work. Although handy if you're friendly with MOT testers as they'll "allow" you to remove and fit when you leave or enter the MOT station.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

We have the hitler youth here running the MOT centres

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch View Post
        We have the hitler youth here running the MOT centres
        You are right there Pete. Lately they are not letting you away with anything. I was up a month ago and failed on a lower BJ and number plates. Not to bad. All sorted now and a full year on display in the window
        Has your truck been up yet?

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
          You are right there Pete. Lately they are not letting you away with anything. I was up a month ago and failed on a lower BJ and number plates. Not to bad. All sorted now and a full year on display in the window
          I'd say a lower ball joint warrants a fail, maybe not the number plate though.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I agree, ever seen a ball joint fail. it's not pretty, they hold the hub in place after all.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

hehehe, don't know much about cars but I'm not that green. It was more to do with the number plates what i was on about. They failed my sister and a mate on plates too. We were all up for mot within a fortnight of each other. They seem to be clamping down on the plates over here. I pointed out that my current plates had passed the MOT on the mainland but he wasn't interested. So I had new ones made up which where slightly bigger but with same size letters. They passed along with the BJ. The same old boy told my sister that her sidelights weren't bright enough????? WTF?
              The new bulbs I put in were no brighter???
              Last edited by GBV8; 14 June 2011, 23:02.

Comment

Sounds like a garage touting for work, I'd avoid them in future.
                Alan

Comment

Balljoint fail. Imagine this at 70mph...

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                    Balljoint fail. Imagine this at 70mph...

Anybody we know or is that pic for illustration purposes.
                    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Illustration only, but it happens, I took some very nasty lower ball joints off of my truck once, just in the nick of time too.

To be honest they didn't make too much noise, wee bit of clicking and slight wobble in the steering, they had been punished offroad I think.
                      Attached Files
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                        Sounds like a garage touting for work, I'd avoid them in future.
                        It's all done a bit different over here. We have several MOT centres around the country that are run by the MOT themselves. Everything is done here. Vehicle tests, PSV, driving tests etc.
                        When you fail a MOT they give you a list of what it failed on and you go away and get that sorted then pay for a retest (£18.50). If the retest is booked within 3 weeks they only check to see if the failed items have been put right otherwise it's a full £30.50 test again.

Rather than go to a garage first and have them say 'xyz' needs doing when maybe it doesn't most poeple just put the car through the test and let these guys tell you exactly what needs done through the failures. If all is good then the MOT is issued as a disc which goes in the windscreen along with the tax.
                        Last edited by GBV8; 15 June 2011, 02:08.

Comment

Not yet i must book today and try to get a cancellation... to those of you in the rest of the UK our system is government run at gov test centres (some shady deals with PFI etc) its much tougher than your system and you need to wait 4-6 weeks for a booking...shambolic
                          and as gbv2 says numbers plates will fail if they are not within their spec..anything minor FAIL

a while ago as part of the emissions test for diesels they would rev the nuts of your engine for a few minutes really pushing it at full rpm for a set period of time ... you can imagine how many old diesel engines liked that, they dropped it after too many damaged engines
                          Last edited by Vultch; 15 June 2011, 09:08.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

It's all done a bit different over here. We have several MOT centres around the country that are run by the MOT themselves. Everything is done here. Vehicle tests, PSV, driving tests etc.
                            When you fail a MOT they give you a list of what it failed on and you go away and get that sorted then pay for a retest (£18.50). If the retest is booked within 3 weeks they only check to see if the failed items have been put right otherwise it's a full £30.50 test again.

Rather than go to a garage first and have them say 'xyz' needs doing when maybe it doesn't most poeple just put the car through the test and let these guys tell you exactly what needs done through the failures. If all is good then the MOT is issued as a disc which goes in the windscreen along with the tax.
                            Over here the MOT cost is about £54. Onj my previous Surf the only time it failed in six years was because there was a hole in the exhaust. I ordered the part, they fitted it and MOT granted with no retest charge.

Comment

Working...
                            X