Pooter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pooter question

ok... does anyone know if you can get a tv tuner card for a laptop PC? (i know they do them for desktops but don't think they'd fit?)

how hard is it to set up wireles router doobrey for me broadband? (i already got 1mbps bb just the router bit i gotta do to work the laptop)

how do these bt openzone access points work?

is it expensive to access internet on mobile phone modem?

um... that's about it!

basically what i wanna do is ditch me b&w truck telly and get a new one playstation, dvd etc... just thought it would be better to get a pooter i can watch tv, dvd, play games, get internet etc while i'm out and not thinking of naked ladies and anthony!

cheers dudes!

adios!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Hi Berkshire Bob,

You can get a USB card, that will then just plug into the socket on your laptop.

sorry cannot help on the BT openzone, and YES using a mobile to connect will NOT be cheap, if you are going to use it, then just use it to grab email and drop the connection fast !

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      ok... does anyone know if you can get a tv tuner card for a laptop PC? (i know they do them for desktops but don't think they'd fit?) not sure, will have a look for you

how hard is it to set up wireles router doobrey for me broadband? (i already got 1mbps bb just the router bit i gotta do to work the laptop)Not hard at all, e-buyer currently doing one by D-link for 65 quid

how do these bt openzone access points work? No Idea

is it expensive to access internet on mobile phone modem? Yes, very. and its slow.

um... that's about it!

basically what i wanna do is ditch me b&w truck telly and get a new one playstation, dvd etc... just thought it would be better to get a pooter i can watch tv, dvd, play games, get internet etc while i'm out and not thinking of naked ladies and anthony!

cheers dudes!

adios!
      Apparently, the way to go is a chipped x box with a 120Gb hard drive which you can store movies and games on. Dont know the full ins and outs.
      Last edited by Alun; 26 July 2004, 22:52.
      Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

Heres a USB tuner type thing
        Charlie Don't Surf..http://static.photobox.co.uk/public/...10805138.s.jpg

Comment

ok... does anyone know if you can get a tv tuner card for a laptop PC? (i know they do them for desktops but don't think they'd fit?)

how hard is it to set up wireles router doobrey for me broadband? (i already got 1mbps bb just the router bit i gotta do to work the laptop)

Like they say. Yup and the DLINK wireless routers are reccomended by my mate that does all that stuff and are relatively easy to install!

http://www.btopenzone.com/index.jsp

As much as a local call normally which if you have a call plan may or maybe not included - depends on your mobili service provider.

um... that's about it!

Modems is a bit slow for the ladies but should be fine for Ant!

cheers dudes!

adios!
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Yes and they normally fit in the USB port

No but it's more expensive. i.e each pc will need a wireless NIC which is about £30. wired card is about £5. The good thing about it is that there is no trailing cables and you can move anywhere in your house. tip. If you go for a wireless network don't choose the Microsoft defaults

Open zone is hot spots in various locations ie burgerking. from which you can access the internet and pick up your emails or if you are very rich, surf the net

very

um... that's about it!

cheers dudes!

adios!
            ScubaSurf

The place to be is under the sea

Comment

Instead of just a tuner, you can get a USB "digibox" so you can watch the freeview digital channels through your computer. I have one made by Hauppauge attached to my laptop, works perfectly (although you may need to have a better TV aerial fitted)

It cost about £85 from my local computer shop.

A decent wireless router will cost about £75 and unless your laptop has built in wireless LAN you will need a wireless PCMCIA card for it plus a PCI wireless card for any desktop computers on your network, these cards are about £23 each.

Good luck.
              [SIZE=2][COLOR=White]You can't have everything. Where would you put it?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

OK.

I use a Netgear Wireless Base station connected to my BT ADSL router via one of the LAN ports. This way I share the Broadband without having to leave one of the computers on. Only downside with this is you will need a firewall on each computer you are using. If only one then no problem. I have a Netgear MA401 Wireless LAN (802.11b) PCMCIA card in my laptop that came as part of the package with the base station.

With regard to BT Openzone. First you need to get an account, either via a monthly payment or if you are somewhere that has an openzone then you can buy a 1 hour or 1 day access card. This has a scratch panel on it that you scratch off to reveal your id and password.

You need to set your wireless lan connection for infrastructure mode and put the settings in as stated on the card. Then log on to the openzone via internet explorer and put in ID and password. You are then on the network and can surf for as long as you want and get email.

Hope that this helps.

Cheers

Comment

WHAT !!!!!!

Russian for beginners.....
                  Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Or you could Blah blah blah the router thingy to the blah blah blah which would then blah to the tv tuner card doobry.......thats what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                      Or you could Blah blah blah the router thingy to the blah blah blah which would then blah to the tv tuner card doobry.......thats what I did.
                      And what do you do with the watsname ?

Does it connect to the thingymagig ?

Is that via the Flux capacitor ?

Trev
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                        And what do you do with the watsname ?

Does it connect to the thingymagig ?

Is that via the Flux capacitor ?

Trev
                        Sorry. The Technogeek in me escaped before I could control it.

Won't let it happen again.

Cheers

Comment

I was trying to follow it and was doing OK then suddenly WAAAAAAAAY over my bonce... my mate is a Netgear supplier , I'll ask him to explain in English.
                          Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Originally posted by Helen
                            I was trying to follow it and was doing OK then suddenly WAAAAAAAAY over my bonce... my mate is a Netgear supplier , I'll ask him to explain in English.
                            Yep English isn't one of my strong points, comes second after gibberish.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X