Rear mounted spots / Front mount light bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Working Lamps

Look as this mounting! Can you work out how it was done?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jimpics57; 26 December 2012, 15:26.
    www.lanestracksandtrails.co.uk Devon Rep GLASS

Comment

Originally posted by Jimpics57 View Post
      Look as this mounting! Can you work out how it was done?
      Good looking vehicles but I'm afraid not. It's the internals that I'm interested in. The strip LED I have I am thinking of bolting to the underside of the spoiler and then running the wire in to the boot through the same fixtures as the 3rd brake light wires.

Once inside I need to know what to do from there....

Cheers,

Tom.

Comment

Rear Working Lamps

Tom - I have a cable running from the lamps to the cabin area under carpets and seats etc with a switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. A live fused lead direct from the passenger side battery leads to the switch (which is the lit rocker type ). There are identical feeds for the CB, Sat Nav and Inverter & Cool Box ) all then provide a cntinuous feed without having to leave the keys in the ignition whilst working at the rear of the vehicle or the Sat Nav or CB losing their settings. A bit more work but more functional - you must however remember to turn any accessorie off at the end of your trip!
        Last edited by Jimpics57; 26 December 2012, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimpics57 View Post
          Tom - I have a cable running from the lamps to the cabin area under carpets and seats etc with a switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. A live fused lead direct from the passenger side battery leads to the switch (which is the lit rocker type ). There are identical feeds for the CB, Sat Nav and Inverter & Cool Box ) all then provide a cntinuous feed without having to leave the keys in the ignition whilst working at the rear of the vehicle or the Sat Nav or CB losing their settings. A bit more work but more functional - you must however remember to turn any accessorie off at the end of your trip!
          Jim,

Thanks for that, where does your live (and presumably negative) lead come through the bulkhead from the battery. ie do I need to remove the whole dash (again) or is there an easier point. Live would be good, I have ordered a lit rocker switch which sounds similar to yours so hopefully no issues there. I hope not to forget given it will hopefully be quite bright.
          Doesn't sound like you used a relay?

Apologies for the very simplistic questions.

Tom.
          Last edited by TASR12; 26 December 2012, 17:07.

Comment

Wires

Tom,

The live and earth wires are fed through the big rubber grommet below the passenger side bonnet hinge mounting by piercing a small hole in it on the top left side of it inside the mounting rim. It shouldn't leak too much any water into the dashboard! You may have to remove the glove box tray to find the wires and pull them through, may pay to push a couple more through at the same time! No relays but inline blade fuses are placed in holders as close to the live terminal of the battery as possible and the fuse holders marked as to the item they feed for easy replacement/fault finding later.

Fuses can easily be removed if the accessories are going to be used for s prolonged period too!

Jim

Comment

Spot on thanks for that. Sounds like I need to get some more wire to make up a couple of spares. I'll give it a go when I get back to the truck.

Cheers Jim, really helpful.
              Last edited by TASR12; 26 December 2012, 17:43.

Comment

Finally got back and tackled the rear work light. Thanks for those that gave some advice. Short summary:

Wire from the Pos battery on the drivers' side battery through bulkhead (spare grommet already in place) to a switch next to the fog light switch.

Wire from the switch along the door sills back to the boot.

Drilled in to the spoiler and mounted the LED light (from Ebay) and then a second hole for the wire to go into the spoiler. Then used the existing rubber bridge/grommet that housed the 3rd brake light wire into the car. Took an earth to the same earth point for the rear wiper motor and then joined the live with the wire I had trailed along the door sills by passing it down the right hand side of the internal panelling.

I'm pretty pleased with the result and the light seems bright and should do the trick when working at the back of the truck. Due to space inside the spoiler I was limited with where I could drill the holes and it is about 10mm further back than I would have liked. Preferably the light would have rested on the spoiler so as not to load the plastic where it is fixed with the nut.

Hopefully some pictures will show the end result. Thanks once again for anyone who answered my queries.

Cheers,

Tom.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by TASR12; 7 February 2013, 11:43.

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Working...
                  X