How much for a busted surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for a busted surf?

I've had it with the coolant problem and want shot of it now as it's totally p'd me off! I would like to know how much it's worth in it's state please!
    I've had it pressure tested and it showed a warped head so had it skimmed and system checked for leaks and yet it was still losing coolant, no overheat no White smoke but still some bubbles in the expansion tank ! Friday it blew the heater matrix which was then bypassed and got me up the road. Drove it for a bit over the weekend with no issues, checked level again and bottle was ok rad took over a litre. So today I filled rad and bottle to level drove 200 miles checked bottle which was full to the brim not sure on rad as it was still hot but I could hear a dripping sound from the back of the bay so I give up!
    137k on the clock well maintained, wheels not included unless you wanna cough up 700 for them gg at2 on black steel rims! Anyone got a ballpark figure?? Thanks James

for a 3rd gen you can expect upto £1000 max as it is for a breaker
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks Rich, that's what I thought for a breaker but is probably a few days work to sort it. I'm gutted that this is what it's come to but that's what happens with older machines I guess!

Comment

i still reacon the head had gone myself.I haven't heard of a head just warping but it could happen.Was the cooling system burped properly and no air locks left in there which could of caused bubbles in the exp tank
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Can't be 100% on that as the mechanic said he did stuff which he clearly didn't so I don't know. The bubbles in the tank appear when the engine is revved . I think it's now too far gone to be worth fixing by a garage, heads probably gone like you say and the heater matrix is busted and god knows what condition the cooling system is in now!!

Comment

The heater matrix probably blow due to pressure of the cracked head.

Never known a cracked block, I bet any money if you pull the head of it'll be cracked between the valves.

A used matrix dosn't have to be expensive.

If you still need a 4x4 get it fixed, you'll still end with a nicer truck than anything you'd spend similar money on to replace it.

3.0's DO just have gasket issues, they don't all crack, could even just be crappily put back together

Pull the head off anyway, what have you got to lose? Then if you find a crack go ahead and fix it confidently, if the head looks sound then still sell it as a breaker/repair truck, you'll not get any less cash for it with the head removed.

If you can hear dripping then you might have a leaky hose! be sure you actually have a rear problem not just regular maintenance before doing something drastic. At least get it sniffer tested (not pressure tested), if there is not exhaust gasses in the coolant then all you have is a leak somewhere.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks but it's time to bite the bullet and sell up I think! I'm going to get a v8 amazon as I've been wanting one for a long time now!

Comment

Working...
              X