yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing '91 Surf from Japan to UK - Advice requested!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing '91 Surf from Japan to UK - Advice requested!

Dear All

I am importing a '91 Surf direct from a Japanese website to UK. It was taking so long to try and work out all the theory of how you do it that I decided to take the plunge and get the process started. I have telegraphed the cash today [$3,700 USD since you ask, including shipping]. It will be a month or so before it arrives and I'm hoping people who have done it before can guide me through....

1] As I understand it I have to get a sticker of some kind to go over the speedometer to convert to MPH. Anyone know where I get this?

2] Is there going to be any problem over the size of the fuel nozzle? It is a Diesel 2.4 model. If there is a nozzle size problem what is the solution?

3] Once the Surf is in the dock is one allowed to pay the duty / VAT and drive it away to an MOT station for pre-arranged MOT? At that stage it would have no UK Registration so can it be driven with the VIN number in the window or what?

4] What other issues if any need sorting before the car can be legally registered and driven in the UK?

ALL constructive advice gratefully received.

PS - WHat is this business about 'heads'? I am totally unmechanical so what is likely to go wrong here and what is the solution [and cost thereof] please??

Johnny

Originally posted by jonathan blane
    Dear All

I am importing a '91 Surf direct from a Japanese website to UK. It was taking so long to try and work out all the theory of how you do it that I decided to take the plunge and get the process started. I have telegraphed the cash today [$3,700 USD since you ask, including shipping]. It will be a month or so before it arrives and I'm hoping people who have done it before can guide me through....

1] As I understand it I have to get a sticker of some kind to go over the speedometer to convert to MPH. Anyone know where I get this?

2] Is there going to be any problem over the size of the fuel nozzle? It is a Diesel 2.4 model. If there is a nozzle size problem what is the solution?

3] Once the Surf is in the dock is one allowed to pay the duty / VAT and drive it away to an MOT station for pre-arranged MOT? At that stage it would have no UK Registration so can it be driven with the VIN number in the window or what?

4] What other issues if any need sorting before the car can be legally registered and driven in the UK?

PS - WHat is this business about 'heads'? I am totally unmechanical so what is likely to go wrong here and what is the solution [and cost thereof] please??

Johnny
    The bulk of these questions are well covered already here on the forum, if you use the search facility you should turn up most of the answers/details you require.

Fuel nozzle will not require changing on a diesel model.
    Speedo face can be easily replaced, again search the forum for details of how to do so and where to obtain one.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Requirements for Registering / MOTing newly imported SUrf

Erm, well, I did already spend quite some time searching the forums and cannot find the answers to my specific questions.

Thank you for the advice re the nozzle -one less to worry about. If anyone can point me to the answers to my questios I would be grateful.

Best regards.

Comment

As Morr says not on a diesel

Jonathan
        Try Davey Knowles he,s a member, also you will need to fit a rear fog light with an illumiated switch inside, only to operate when dip lights are on.

As Morr says not on a diesel
        You don't say which is the port of entry, in any case get a handling agent at the port where the Surf is being landed, you will have to pay him, cost vary from around £ 70 upto say £ 200, it depends on port etc. You will need to pay them the import duty & vat, before they can clear the Surf.You can have the MOT done at the port area, but is costly, & may need repairs carried out, plus speedo & fog light have to be fitted, best to bring her home, do not & i'll say again do not drive her home. She's been sitting around for weeks even months & you do not really know her conditition, have her transported to you, then do all the recommended checks etc before you take her for the MOT.

4] What other issues if any need sorting before the car can be legally registered and driven in the UK?Register her & insurance, then enjoy

Sewerat Bob

BOBS TO RULE THE WORLD
        Last edited by Sewerat; 26 July 2004, 18:16.
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Johnathan,

I have done this myself recently....

Originally posted by jonathan blane
          Dear All

Whilst it is a legal requirement to have a speedo that shows MPH, it is not checked in the MOT. However, as you will be taking the dash apart to fit a Rear Fog Light Switch, you might as well do it at the same time... I would recommend Far East Services, they are also the cheapest place I found for Jap sized number plates.

As stated in previous replies, no problem here.

The duty has to paid to and cleared by HM C&E before you will be allowed to remove the vehicle from the docks. The shipping company's local agent may be able to arrange customs clearance for you, but they wont be cheap. Again I would recommend speaking to Far East Services, they informed me of the duty payable about a week before the boat docked, I sent them a bankers draft and they had my car cleared and ready to go the same day the boat docked... their fees - £40.

It won't be practical to drive direct from the dock to an MOT, as you will need to fit a Rear Fog Light first... mine also needed 2 x tyres and half an exhaust!!!

It is possible to get an insurance cover note issued prior to registration, quote them the VIN.

To the best of my knowledge (this was the only thing I couldn't get a definitive answer on) you can legally drive the vehicle home from the dock with the VIN displayed in the window... I did, I encountered several police cars on the drive home, none of them stropped me!

- Get the car home (Note: If you are going to drive it home... there will be several bits of paper stuck to the inside of the windscreen, take a rag and some meths to remove the adhesive).
          - Fit (Have fitted) Rear Fog Light, Switch and Warning Light.
          - Insurers may (probably will) require that you have at least a Thatcham Cat 2 Immobiliser fitted.
          - While the dashbord is dis-assembled... Fit MPH speedo face and replace radio (the Jap ones don't work properly here and they are bolted in).
          - Get it MOT'd.
          - Fill in V55 (get from local DVLA office), there are only a few things that need to be answered... a search on here will provide the answers.
          - Take V55, Jap De-reg document* and English Translation*, Ins cover note, MOT, Customs Form, Cheque for 6/12 months Tax plus £38 reg fee, Proof of ID... to local DVLA office.
          - 3 or 4 days later you will get your docs back in the post, along with the bit of paper you will need to get number plates made up.
          - Get and fit number plates.

JOB DONE!!

*Once the boat has left Japan your Japanese agent will send you the following -
          Japanese De-registration
          English Translation of above
          Two copies of the 'Bill of Lading'

Johnny

For the answer (if there is one??) to this you will have to search the forum... I didn't like what I read so I bought a 3.0 litre, they don't seem to suffer from 'the head problem'.
          Last edited by whippet; 27 July 2004, 08:52.
          Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

handling agent ?

on the recommendation to engage a 'handling agent'

may i ask why exactly??? what will a handling agent do which i cannot do for myself? i've no objectection to paying any necssary fees - i just don't like the mystery of being told i have to pay this that or the other agent without an explanation as to why i cannot do it myself.

and yes, the port is newcastle.

if i do in fact have to employ a handling agent - any recommendations as to which one[s] do good service in newcastle ??

Comment

Jonathan,
              Must admit that iv'e always used import / handling agents, even for non Surf equipment, have used them for years.
              Reason : usually port of entry is miles away, & cost of going around various offices to clear goods is not cost effective, plus as an example C & E may hold onto the paperwork for a couple of days before the documents are processed ( because you do not normally deal with them & they are a little careful), so back to collect docs, then onto somewhere else etc etc, could take several visits, & days to achieve. Must admit i'm not sure if it is or is not a legal requirement to use import / handling agents.
              As far is the cost is concerned, its a small amount when put against the savings you should make in a Surf when buying in Japan.

Newcastle Handling/Shipping agents : NSA in Newcastle Tele 0191 4285403, they are the local agent for Japanese shipping company "HAUL"

Cost last time i used them was ;
              Paperwork Clearance £ 35-00
              C & E £ 40-00
              Total : £ 75-00

But call them first as its sometime since i last used them.

PM me if you want any other info.

Sewerat Bob
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Jonathan,

I've completed my reply above.

Alan
                Never argue with an idiot... they drag you down to their level - then beat you with experience!!

Comment

Working...
                X