Fuel Pump seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump seals

OK - I think my fuel pump seals are leaking (probably due to the Veg oil)

How do I change the seals? Is it a big job? do I need to take it all apart etc?

I have searched! Any answers would be appreciated (preferably sensible)
    Any links to a how to guide? I did find one but the link was broken.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
    ...... Any answers would be appreciated (preferably sensible)...
    Damn, thats me out!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

The top seal is easy, and the outer side seal also, especially with a body lift.

Just unplug all the wiring, and move a few hoses to give you room. Clean the allen key ends out with a small pointer, they fill with junk and can round out easily if you're not careful as often tight.

Undo the big nut on the top sensor first, this needs to be free when you remove the lid as it goes in from behind.

The inner side seal is a pump out job, with all that intails...think doing cam belt, then on to removing pump after that far.

If its leaking out the distributive head (the black block at back where injector pipes fix) then your gubbed, you're not really able to remove this without resetting pump. Someone on here once changed it by carefully pulling it back far enough to see the o-ring, cutting it off and stretching new over head. But TBH I wouldn't want to do it on someone elses truck, so do it if you dare... :wink2

Or give me £150 and the repair kit and I'll do it for you (apart from the back bit, if that gone we normally recommend getting a good used pump and putting new seals on that and fitting it)...

Comment

I'm going to stop using veg oil and see if it stops - I can't see where it's coming from so it could be any of the seals! - still I think it's where the oil leak problem is, not the rear crankshaft seal (the oil was being blown back)

I'll get a kit and do what I can at some point

Comment

Its usually the lid, then the sides covers and not often the rear bit. The seal kits isn't expensive, you could easily do the lid seal and see how it goes.

Stopping using veg does often fix it, veg makes rubber go hard and brittle, the new seals are vitrol (or whatever it is.. lol ) and veg has no effect on them, so once its done its ok to carry on.

Also check your fuel return hoses are ok, especially the small one from the injectors to the top of the fuel pump, this often splits.

Comment

I've got a pump for sale.

Comment

Where can I get some from? ebay? I can't find any at Roughtrax but I can't search the site as when I go into the search area of Roughtrax I get javascript (or whatever) errors - if you have any links that would be good

Comment

If it just the top seal you could try some "silicone sealant" of the sticks like sh&t variety, Mine started leaking miles away from anywhere had some in the boot and gave it a go well for a temporary fix that was Aprillast year ...... if it solves it then at least you know a proper gasket kit will be fine...
                must order a seal kit something else for the TO-Do list !!!
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=610&vid=1242

or try this...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....44&postcount=6

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    I've got a pump for sale.
                    How much is that doggy in the window?
                    (how much for the fuel pump)

Cheers Tony for the link - I've ordered the repair kit, I might still buy the pump and send it to Diesel Bob to be completly rebuilt then swap it

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                      How much is that doggy in the window?
                      (how much for the fuel pump)

Cheers Tony for the link - I've ordered the repair kit, I might still buy the pump and send it to Diesel Bob to be completly rebuilt then swap it
                      £40 + post.

Comment

I think the leak was coming from the stop solonoid, the one seal you don't get with the kit! I changed the Top seal and used some silicone on the solonoid (from the inside) and it seems to have done the trick.

Bushwacker, I'd still like your fuel pump please - I did PM you but you didn't respond.

Comment

I.ve Resurrected this oldie as my IP is leaking slightly actually it's been leaking for ages thanks to under thinned veg oil some years back, it seemed to stop after going back to straight derv but re started about two years ago (yeah it takes me a bit to get round to jobs) anyway just thought I'd resurrect this in case anyone has any other tips etc, I don't intend removing the pump thus f##king up things so if it aint the top seal or ones that are doable with the pump in situ then it can stay leaking,
                          any comments welcome, sane or otherwise,
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                            I.ve Resurrected this oldie as my IP is leaking slightly actually it's been leaking for ages thanks to under thinned veg oil some years back, it seemed to stop after going back to straight derv but re started about two years ago (yeah it takes me a bit to get round to jobs) anyway just thought I'd resurrect this in case anyone has any other tips etc, I don't intend removing the pump thus f##king up things so if it aint the top seal or ones that are doable with the pump in situ then it can stay leaking,
                            any comments welcome, sane or otherwise,
                            hi,ian. sorry to but in on this, but i was wondering if you still do ,or are willing to do the heater panel light mod,still?
                            saw some of your work,on one of vince's threads, and i thought it was amazing

Comment

[QUOTE=scott-lee;826585]hi,ian. sorry to but in on this, but i was wondering if you still do ,or are willing to do the heater panel light mod,still?
                              saw some of your work,on one of vince's threads, and i thought it was amazing[/QUOTE
                              Hello Scott, well I can still do them, I did one just before Christmas, my email address if you would like to contact me is- ian.price90@ntlworld.com
                              (don't have PM facility here so that might be the best way),

regarding the injector pump, I see Roughtrax do a seal kit so i'll get one and have a crack at it, TonyN seems to have answered the questions on fitting pretty well,
                              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                              X