X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Surfin!

Hi All,

I got me a Surf at last!

It's a blue Jan 1990 SSR Limited 2.4 manual. I drove it 280km from Cork to Dublin yesterday. I'm delighted with it. I think did all the checks properly and it seems like a fine car. And I'm happy with the price I paid.

I have a question - The engine number begins with 2L, not 2LT. As I understand it, the 2L is a non-turbo engine, fitted in the gen1? Mine has a turbo, with a "turbo on" light in the tacho dial.

It certainly isn't fast, and I can't perceive a noticable increase in oomph when I hear the turbo whine and the turbo light comes on.

I can also hear the fan come on now and then - YAAHAAY! The thermostat works! The needle never ventured in either direction from just below half way.

I'm Surfin!

Mark
    Last edited by silvtr1000; 26 July 2004, 09:22.
    :

Nice one Mark, looks like your searchin has paid off.

Happy Surfin

Can't answer your query on the Turbo, but I'm sure the others will be along soon.........
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Come on, guys! Is a 2L a turbo engine?

Se my original post above...

Thanks all,

Mark
      :

Comment

edited out 'cause my answer was wrong
        Last edited by Morr; 27 July 2004, 10:14. Reason: 'cause it was full of duff gen!
        Maurice

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          OK Mark I'll jump back in, AFAIK the 2L is virtually identical to the 2LT but without the computerised engine management system, ie still turbo, but a more conventional electrical/mechanical management control system. Easier to waterproof and more rugged than later versions with all their electronic wizardry.

Like I say, I think this is the correct story, but await confirmation or rebuttal from those who know better.........

2L was Indirect Injection
          2LT Turbo with indirect injection
          2LTE Turbo indierct injection (Electronic)
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

That's what I thought, but this 2L HAS a turbo. And judging by the fact that there's a perfectly factory-fitted dash light saying "turbo", I don't think it's been added aftermarket.

Very curious.
            :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
              That's what I thought, but this 2L HAS a turbo. And judging by the fact that there's a perfectly factory-fitted dash light saying "turbo", I don't think it's been added aftermarket.

Very curious.

Take a few pics of the engine and post them here so we can have a look.
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                2L was Indirect Injection
                2LT Turbo with indirect injection
                2LTE Turbo indierct injection (Electronic)
                Aha, I was confusing the difference between the L and LT with that between the LT and the LTE, sorry, knew someone would know better. I'll go remove my erronous remarks before I lead anyone astray....
                Maurice

Comment

I think that the engine number on the block begins with 2L on all of them as the block casting is the same whether it is a 2L, 2LT or 2LTE.

However I could be really wrong here. I think the only number that matters is the one on the VIN plate which should state whether it is a 2L, 2LT or 2LTE.

Cheers

Comment

You're spot on Andy - the VIN plate says 2LTE, and the alloy thing on top of the engine (injector housing? turbo?) has a big red "EFI" on it - how I didn't cop that, I don't know ...

Thanks All

Mark
                    :

Comment

Working...
                    X