Need advice as I am buying my very first Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice as I am buying my very first Surf

Hi all you experienced 4x4's out there. I need your expert advice. I have been looking at the surf's for a few years now, but never really knew anything about them to buy one for myself. However, call it a mid life crisis if you like but have decided to buy one. Viewed a really nice one today, J reg 92, 2.4 td auto surf ssr-x. I drove it round and it drove like a dream. went through all the gears without nolticing it had. turbo light came on on dashboard and it smoothly kicked in. rear window a bit slow but went up using the key fob, and also from the button inside when engine on and off. did holwever kick out lack smoke on start up but once started it cleared, never smoked whilst driving as i looked out for it. The seller is sending it for an mot tomorrow as I said i wouldn't buy it without a full mot. Being a woman, I do not know much ab out cars, but need to know what to look for on the 4wd of these. How to test it. What to look and listen for. etc etc. I know the head was changed less than a year ago, as this was the first thing i asked about (i've learnt this by looking on here). The seller is calling me tomoz once the surf has passed it's mot. One thing n iggling at me is that it's done 200,000 miles. Is this too much ? some people say for a diesel no, some do the suckking teeth thing at me (boring). Is there any other things i should look out for before i part with my hard earned savings ? The surf was up for £1000, offered seller £850 and he accepted. Found surf on ebay on this number: 250818241782 - take a look and tell me what you think.

looks quite clean, steeering wheel needs changing looks pants (personal opinion).
    4wd needs to be tested on slippery ground, mud sand etc do not enage on hard ground tarmac etc.
    Wouldnt worry to much about the mileage, few on here done similar or getting on that way.
    Black smoke on start up could simply be glow plugs. As along as all the electrics work, all windows etc.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Hello welcome - If the clock on the dash is showing 200,000 it's most likely KM's which is only 125k miles - either way 200,000 miles is nothing for one of these trucks if they've been looked after, especialy if the head has been done. I hope you enjoy your truck.
      “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

I know many men who know sod all about cars, and don't want to - just accept what the seller says, pay up & drive away. Not necessarily a woman thing. More important than knowing is wanting to know, IMO.

That Surf does look nice, though I don't like the steering wheel either.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Mark
        :

Comment

Lisa,welcome.Looks a nice motor,and with kiddie seats in the back I bet its not been thrashed.
          Mileage not a problem,and I like the steering wheel,swap you for a leather one if you want to change it,Regards,Alan

Comment

http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/info/faq.htm
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
            X