yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does/Do You Want Your Car To Say About You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does/Do You Want Your Car To Say About You?

Surfs are (still) relatively uncommon cars, though maybe not quite "rare". There are dozens of 4x4s out there - some appealing, some less so (IMO), but for me a Surf is simply the car I want.

Saw one on holiday years before I got one, loved it, knew I'd someday have one, and I did.

But it was short-lived - less than 2 years, and I've always regretted selling it.

So my main car for the past 11 years has been a 94 Corolla 1.5 petrol estate. It now has 267,000km up, and is just a bit tired, though if I spent a little cash & effort it'd surely just keep on running. It has character, and is not a common car round these parts. Not an exciting car, not a looker - just a truly great car. Nice to drive, very reliable, very economical, comfortable, and practical. I like that it attracts Chevy Chase quips from neighbours.

I've also had other cars that were dull, but I still liked them - a 1990 1.5 petrol Corona with no damping: it handled like a big American car from the 70s - wallowing for a few bouncy seconds when it came to a stop. A 1990 Lancer with vynil seats and no power steering. A 97 Cherokee that loved to slip its back end out on roundabouts if a cloud even thought about releasing a drop of water. And my first ever 4-wheel vehicle (rode bikes for the 10 years previous) was a 200TDi Discovery.

I guess I like a car that has character, or isn't that common, or has quirks. My Corolla went everywhere - literally. Including icy hills that saw soft-raoders drifting into ditches (honestly), sub-zero 400-km motorway trips where I had to stop regularly to take the ice off the wipers & pour water on the screen cos the washer nozzles were frozen, off road tracks to fishing lakes, local beaches. It feels like a go-anywhere/do-anything car. I've done runs to dumps with it loaded up, carried a Honda 125 in it, slept in it, waded to over axle-depth in it (after a Disco 2 bottled out of negotating the flood. Not fool-hardy - it was my daily commute, and I knew every pot-hole on the road, and knew from the various posts & fences nearby that the water depth was "do-able", even in a relatively low, petrol-engined car).

I think that's what I like in a car - it can do anything. I call on my car to do anything & everything, and I like that my car appears to be a car that can do that.

And it goes without saying that a Surf is certainly more of a "go-anywhere, do-anything" car than a Corolla estate.

My current Mazda 323 Familia simply doesn't give me that feeling. Fine car, just not special.

Mark

:

Unfortunately the Surf belongs to my better half - it's a bit battered and tatty round the edges so I can't possibly comment on what it says about her ...

My car is a Ford Fawkus estate that's clocked up 150k miles - it's past it's prime and a bit sluggish at times with a few iffy bits here and there so you can draw your own conclusions

What I'd like my car to say is "This guys got more money than sense and a touch of class" - I can't see that happening for a good few years (If ever)

So that's a lifted black 3rd gen running 33 BFG AT's with stainless winch bumper, rear bumper and rock sliders, Lexurf conversion a la Vince with a supercharger. Would also have two Strange Rover's (The spare one's so I'd have summat to drive while one's being fixed)

Last edited by Predictable Bob; 22 May 2011, 09:06.
    Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

My car says about me.."bit of a fat poser".

In fact, if it said it wanted to pay for fuel all the time, it could call me what it wanted.
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Mine says REDNECK! I just need to grow a mullet!
        “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

My one doesn't say anything, it has no voice box.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

It depends which one I'm in.... but BMWs and 4x4s seem to be hated by most
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

My suspension is slightly lower on the drivers side, so I suppose that mine is saying that I'm a fat b*****d!............Cheers.....Mick
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI
                Last edited by Sancho; 22 May 2011, 16:12.

Comment

Mine talks to me. It goes away if I take the pills though.

Comment

Mine says...

"Doesn't own a bucket... or a sponge, or a brush, or a hose pipe and definitely doesn't own a pressure washer."

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      My one doesn't say anything, it has no voice box.
                      Mine tells me how camp I am, every glorious day I get in.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Mine tells me that there is a God. And that he lives in South Wales.

Comment

mine just laughs at me cos i keep pouring money into both ends to keep it running

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
                            mine just laughs at me cos i keep pouring money into both ends to keep it running
                            That doesn't sound good... Have you got problems?

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                              That doesn't sound good... Have you got problems?
                              not really - its had a few electrical gremlins

mainly caused by an 18 year old surf loom connected to a 16 year old lexus loom (both old and tired) i should have bought a better lexus instead of one that was maintained with black tape and prayer. hardest part is finding the faults.

been using it this week and its almost right now. lovely to drive - super smooth and bags of grunt.

lexurf V1 is looking the dogs danglys - top marks to vince again.

also must say vince is a wealth of information when you have a problem - id have been struggling on my own

Comment

Working...
                              X