Coolant problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant problem

It's a bit urgent, and nobody seems to be in mechanical, so I thought I'd post in here.

I think my coolant level is low.
    In the tank at the front right of the engine bay the fluid level is below the change in shape leve (if that makes sense).
    I think that this means it's low.
    From what I could see the change in shape is the indicator for full.

To top up this coolant can I use water?
    Should I mix it with anything else?

I've read that you should not fill up via the expansion tank, maybe I'm getting myself confused, I thought that the tank I'm talking about is the expansion tank - yet this is where the full indicator is.

Hope that all makes sense, or can at least be understood.

Any info gratefully recieved before I set off in a 300 mile journey.

check coolant level via rad cap, expansion tank level should be between min and max, antifreeze mix should be used, but plain water in the expansion tank will be ok as very little if any will be taken into the cooling system.

do not confuse coolant level and expansion tank level, they are two seperate things, the min mark on the expansion bottle is just to ensure the overflow pipe is submerged (otherwise air could possible be sucked into the cooling system,) the max mark is there for no reason in particular except to prevent coolant overflowing from the expansion bottle and making a mess.
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Its normal for fluid levels in expansion tank to fluctuate slightly between full (hot engine) and low (cold engine)

Just dont allow it to empty as air gets into the system
      ------------------------------------
      Look out! Ee

Comment

Working...
      X