Regulator - do I need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator - do I need one?

I'm going to build an air compressor on my truck using the A/C pump to fill it, it will mainly be used for blowing up tyres etc and possibly for occasional air tool use.

There is no reason to install a regulator is there? It's not like it's going to be used for spraying.

The maximum pressure will be about 120PSI.

My reciever tank will be a stainless steel fire extinguisher
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

What pressure is normally in a fire extinguisher?

Where did you get the 125psi figure from?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'd have a regulator, a pressure switch and a relief valve.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

Where did you get the 125psi figure from?
        The Pressure in a fire extinguisher is a lot more than 120 PSI (the one I'm using is about 17 bar) that's what the Pressure switch will be set to.

[QUOTE=Albannach;717275]I'd have a regulator, a pressure switch and a relief valve. QUOTE]

I'll have a Pressure switch (120PSI) and relief valve (the relief valve is 140PSI)

I'm just not sure whether I'll ever need to reduce the air line pressure which is why I'd need the regulator, your right though it's probably best to have one.

Comment

That all sounds OK. Use the pressure switch to disconnect the clutch on the AC Pump?

Comment

That all sounds OK. Use the pressure switch to disconnect the clutch on the AC Pump?
            yep! am also planning on installing an in line tool oiler on the air intake to the pump to lube the pump up

Comment

?
              A quick glance at the 2Kg CO2 extinguisher supplying carbon to my fish tank indicates ~850psi.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

CO2 tend to be very high pressure normally around 55Bar - 825PSI

The one I'm going to use is a Stainless steel, it's a water one (people throw them away because no one uses water extinguishers anymore, if you look around work places you'll find co2 and Powder)
                It has been pressure tested by the manufacturer to 24 Bar (360PSI) so should be good for what I want, I know it's good for 10bar because it was full when I got it

Comment

hope you emptied it in a sensible way and not just scared the hell out of one of your mates at work!
                  Non consternationes.

Comment

Does anybody use 1/4 BSP fittings in their daily jobs?

I need loads of bits and pieces and was wondering if anyone could get them cheaper - To buy all the parts I need to build my compressor will be £170!

Originally posted by dazandcaz View Post
                    hope you emptied it in a sensible way and not just scared the hell out of one of your mates at work!
                    Actually we used it to unblock a drain!

Comment

Or just buy this and bolt it in the back.

That's what I and many others use for offroad pressure adjustment.
                      You can also get a twin pump one of £20 more
                      Brian

Comment

I may have a spare regulator kicking around.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                          Or just buy this and bolt it in the back.

That's what I and many others use for offroad pressure adjustment.
                          You can also get a twin pump one of £20 more
                          That would be a lot quicker and easier! I just wanted to build my own from the A/C pump (job satisfaction sort of thing)

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                          I may have a spare regulator kicking around.
                          Thanks Webbo, If you do I'll gladly take it off your hands - even if I don't build the on-board compressor I need one for my 240v compressor!

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                            That would be a lot quicker and easier! I just wanted to build my own from the A/C pump (job satisfaction sort of thing)

Thanks Webbo, If you do I'll gladly take it off your hands - even if I don't build the on-board compressor I need one for my 240v compressor!
                            PM Me your address, give me till after the week end to post,

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                              Does anybody use 1/4 BSP fittings in their daily jobs?

I need loads of bits and pieces and was wondering if anyone could get them cheaper - To buy all the parts I need to build my compressor will be £170!

Actually we used it to unblock a drain!
                              1/4 bsp male or female to what sort of end ?

Comment

Working...
                              X