Light utility and the LEZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just had a letter from TFL.

Have been told that they are validating the LEZ classification of my vehicle.

TFL records indicate that my Hilux Surf 3ltr is recorded as UNKNOWN. They are asking me to send in valid proofs of the vehicle model.

My V5 has nothing in the Model/Type box.

I'm unsure what is considered a valid proof?
    Maybe I should plead the fifth.

Comment

As previously said, Pics will be a good place to start !!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by shamosayer View Post
        just had a letter from TFL.

Have been told that they are validating the LEZ classification of my vehicle.

TFL records indicate that my Hilux Surf 3ltr is recorded as UNKNOWN. They are asking me to send in valid proofs of the vehicle model.

My V5 has nothing in the Model/Type box.

I'm unsure what is considered a valid proof?
        Maybe I should plead the fifth.
        If it was unknown to them I would have left as is. Would have saved trouble.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Try this to see if its a problem first...

Forgot to say mines listed as a "Private/Light Goods PLG" and is exempt
          Last edited by madcampbell; 15 July 2011, 14:27.

Comment

Lez

I have 2nd Gen SSR-G. I got a letter recently from TFL regarding the 'London Emission Zone' saying that my vehicle doesn't meet the required standards etc. My Log Book details showed that the vehicle body type was entered as 'Light 4x4 Utility'... seems this is the case with other people who own Surfs.

I spoke to DVLA and said that body type for this vehicle is 'Estate' and that details had been entered incorrectly on my V5C. They asked me to send details of this in a letter + log book, which I did and also included photos. I took a couple of side shots showing the whole of the vehicle with doors open to show the seating arrangement. a shot from rear seats showing the boot space, a shot from outside with tailgate down to show boot space - and also a shot that included the reg. number. I also sent a second short letter a couple of weeks later that included a few more details.
            I got a new log book from DVLA this morning that now shows body type details as 'Estate'. I then called TFL, they checked their database which now shows my vehicle classed as an Estate and exempt from the LEZ.
            So it seems the letters/photos are enough for DVLA to rectify the mistake and that TFL go along with what DVLA says.
            I didn't bother contacting Toyota, they're full of ****.

I think the photos did the job but if it helps here are my letters -

(Dear Sir/Madam,
            Please find the enclosed V5C Document for vehicle registration number : ****. This is an imported vehicle and was registered in the UK on 13.10. 2004 .
            In section 4 (D.3) the Body type details have been entered as 'Light 4x4 Utility'. This is incorrect as body type for this vehicle is 'Estate' - the same as Ranger Rover, Discovery, Vauxhall Frontera etc.
            The vehicle has 5 seats, including driver and is not designed as a pick-up truck. I have included some photos of the interior/exterior of the vehicle as proof.
            I'd be very grateful if you could amend these details and thank you for your help in this matter.)

(Dear Sir/Madam,
            With reference to my recent correspondence regarding incorrect V5C 'Body type' details for vehicle registration no.****.
            As you may know there are many other vehicles presently in the UK that are exactly the same make/model/age as mine. They were also imported from Japan and many of them have their body type details entered correctly as 'SUV' or 'Estate' on the VC5 certificate and not as 'Light 4x4 Utility', as is the case with mine.
            It may help to know that my vehicle was imported into the UK from Japan where it was marketed and sold as the 'Toyota Hilux SURF'. Elsewhere, such as the UK /Europe and the USA this exact model was marketed and sold by Toyota as the 'Toyota 4Runner'. The Toyota 4Runner (or SURF) was sold by Toyota in the UK between 1993 – 1996 and was marketed as an SUV with an Estate body type, not a Light 4x4 Utility.
            The fact that my vehicle was imported into the UK as a Toyota Hilux SURF may be the cause of some confusion but the Toyota Hilux SURF and the Toyota 4Runner are exactly the same model in every way, just a different name for marketing purposes.
            Another source of confusion may be that Toyota do manufacture a Light 4x4 Utility vehicle that is marketed as the Toyota HILUX. This has a pick-up body type and is not the same as the Toyota Hilux SURF or 4Runner
            In my previous correspondence I included photographs of my vehicle and they show that the Toyota Hilux SURF (or 4Runner) is an SUV with an Estate body-type and is not a Light 4x4 Utility. It seats 5 people including driver and has some carpeted boot space. It's the same body type as other SUV's such as the Land Rover Discovery, Range Rover, Vauxhall Frontera., Mitsubishi Pajero etc.
            I hope this might be of use and thank you for your help in this matter)

Comment

Got ours sorted out as well now, it basically boils down to not giving up when they try and fob you off, I kept sending the log book back saying there was a mistake on it and eventually i got an email from a guy who requested photos and more information about the body style.

Its now classified as an estate car.

Comment

Not changed

sent my logbook off with letter and pics showing car and interior and boot about 3-4 weeks ago,got my logbook back this morning no change still down as a light utility vehicle no letter to say why they ignored the pics etc.so i will have to send another one and keep going until they do i suppose oh the pleasure of living in london

Comment

I sent my log book off with a letter and some photos explaining the car was wrongly registered as a light 4x4 utility when it was imported, and should have been registered as an estate just as all SUV`s (landcruiser, 4 runner, cayenne, x5, v90 etc. are) Got my log book back a few weeks ago, it’s now classed as an estate.

Comment

Originally posted by davidy2980 View Post
                    sent my logbook off with letter and pics showing car and interior and boot about 3-4 weeks ago,got my logbook back this morning no change still down as a light utility vehicle no letter to say why they ignored the pics etc.so i will have to send another one and keep going until they do i suppose oh the pleasure of living in london
                    i got a letter this morning saying

thank you for your recent letter regarding the body type of the above vehicle
                    unfortunately,we are unable to ammend this body type description
                    the description of light 4x4 utility vehicle is a version of a car specially designed with four wheel drive for on/off road driving,having an increased ground clearance compared with a standard passenger car and with a fixed rigid roof.an estate car is simply a lengthened saloon/hatchback vehicle
                    the term SUV confirms that this vehicle was designed to be a far more robust vehicle than a normal passenger car.
                    yours fathfully
                    helen hinken
                    why did i have to get the office idiot that cannot see in the pics that this is not a hilux pick up,any ideas guys as all i can think to do is send v5 back again with another letter and pics
                    should i mention this forum and that there a few lucky guys that have had theres changed on here

Comment

Write back to the plonker asking why LR Range Rovers / Discovery's / etc are not LUV's although they are 4 wheel drive.

Comment

No point. They almost certainly are staffed by 'admin' types trying to interpret an impenetrable list of guidelines written in government-ese.

I would expect if you ask the same question ten times to ten different people there you will get ten different answers.
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Only other thing is to drive to the nearest DVLA depot and do it in person.

Comment

See also here my experience...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...+Emission+Zone
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Lez

I hoped I might be in for a slightly easier ride... As when I looked at my V5 I found that my surf had been registered as a motor Caravan.

On the phone the DVLA were very helpful. I spent a day cleaning out the Surf and photographing it to prove it was an estate car. I wrote a polite cover letter and sent the lot to the DVLA by special delivery.

Today it all went wrong as the same 'motor Caravan' V5 arrived back with no explanation. I have just phoned the DVLA and was told a letter is on its way that will ask for confirmation from Toyota.

This sounds like the same black hole as others have reached as I dont think Toyota uk will comment on Surfs.

Anyone want to buy a clean 1997 SSRG motor home?

Mike

Comment

I sent the DVLA my V5 a few weeks ago with a change of address and one line to say that I have also highlighted the mistake of the listing of body type as the Surf is the equivalent of a uk 4runner and that all other owners have theirs listed as an estate.

V5 arrived the other day with 'estate' as body type

Comment

Working...
                                X