X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Had 'Em All?

Hi Guys.

The bug has begun nibbling at me again.

Anyone on here owned or driven all (or most) versions of all gens? Auto & manual 2.4s? Auto & manual 3.0s?

Anyone who has - what's your fave?

I'm guessing the most common answer will be the later-model 3.0s, but I personally like the aesthetics of the gen 2 most. Road tax & insurance on a 3.0 are pretty nasty here (Dublin), so if I'm to realistically look at getting another Surf, it'll probably have to be another 2.4 gen 2.

AFAIK, the 2.4 was produced up to Aug 1993? There seem to be a few gen 2s on sale over here for under €1000 at the moment (some with claimed mileages of under 100,000kms ). How safe would it be to assume that there would be very few 2.4s around that haven't had any head trouble sorted buy now? I was lucky with my 2.4 - no probs for me, nor for its subsequent owner, last I heard.

My Corolla (267,000kms) needed around €400 - €500 of parts recently (rear shocks, exhaust silencer, front right CV, front disks & pads, rear shoes, filters, oil, plugs, with me doing the work). So I had a look around and a friend was selling a 323 for €500. 120,000kms, NCT (llike MOT), tax, 4 new tires, 6000kms before next service. Made sense to take it, but it's not really an inspiring car, and has no character. My Corolla is like a person at this stage - 65,000kms on when I bought it (in 2000), the rest put on by me.

So now I'd much rather a Surf again. I may look at selling my Corolla ( my son was amazed when I told him I could probably get more if I sold his skateboard) and the Mazda, and see what I can get for €1000 - €1500. I might ask if my employer will cough up or split the cost of the road tax. Insurance for a 93 or older 2.4 shouldn't be too much higher than for the 1.5 96 Mazda.

Thing is, my current work has me doing 800 - 1000km a week, and 18 year-old 2.4s aren't renowned for great mpg, specially when trying to push them at motorway speeds, so are the 3.0s more fuel-economical, off-setting the higher tax?

Or am I nuts to be considering a Surf over the Mazda for 800-1000km a week?

Thanks guys,

Mark
    :

Had 2nd gen x2 and 3rd gen x2 my Fav is the 2.7 petrol 3r gen.

I have a 3.0 3rd gen manual that will do excess of 30mpg for sale.
    Brian

Comment

Working...
    X