Timing belt nightmare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt nightmare...

Right I have to say I should NEVER have attempted to do this myself but after my success with the starter motor I thought it would be fine.

3.0TD gen 2

I took it all to pieces as described on the forum.... all be it a lot more difficult and poor access that many made out;-)

I put the new belt back on and checked the alignment, It looked good on the top cog but the bottom one was ever so slightly not aligned. It was like that before I took the old belt off so I thought it would be ok....

Started it up and it seems to run ok but when I stopped it and looked the bottom cog was more "off" than it was. Also the belt has some rubbing on the side.

Will this be ok or should I take it off and realign it? If so is it Ok to turn the bottom cog back a bit or will I have to go all the way around?
    Shpuld they be so stiff? Is this normal?

Why did I decide to do this when I NEED the truck to be working by tomorrow morning?

Any ideas , getting desparate.....
    Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

The bottom 'cog' shouldn't need to go all the way round, the belt's there to make things happen in different parts of the engine at the same time essentially. If the new belt is showing signs of wear I think I'd bin it and get another. Not sure how safe toyota engines are but if the belt breaks on a lot of engines it's quite catastrophic.

Comment

Working...
    X