What to do...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do...?

I bought a Witter towbar for my 3rd Gen Surf 6 months ago, fitted it, With a few problems with missing bolts, and the fact that it sat to low.

I ended up getting the holes welded up in the heavy angle brackets which bolt to the chassis and re-drilling them up an inch so it sat at the right height, and having to get 2 x 'captive bolt' brackets made by a local engineering shop at my own cost, which I wasn't too bothered about, but now the drop plate of the bar has gone really rusty. (Surface Rust) and it looks pretty crap to be honest, so I complained.

Now I never complain about anything usually, but I was pretty P1ssed off in the fact that I chose to spend nearly double the price of a Towequip one for a Witter one, and wish I hadn't bothered.

Anyway, after writing them a long email moaning about the bolts, and brackets etc and sending pics etc of the rust, they have send me a brand new towbar kit which is great! but now they want my old one back obviously.

I had planned on re-Painting my old one where the rust is, and keeping it on my Surf, and selling the new kit complete, to make the money back from the welding/ bracket costs, and buy a few beers from the change. (A bit greedy I know).

So now I have a few choices:

1. Change the main part of the bar with the new one and send the old one back, but lose out on the cost of the brackets/welding.

2. Keep my old bar on the car, re-paint the rusty bits, send the new bar kit back and ask for a partial refund on the bar i have already.

3. Keep the old bar on, repaint etc, and sell the new bar, and keep putting them off when they call to ask for the old one back until they get bored.

4. Change the bar, but keep the old one until they hopefully forget about it, then sell it.

5. Tell them to come and fit the new one, and take the old one away to save me the hassle, but again lose out on the welding/bracket costs.

I'm thinking about option 3..

What are your thoughts??

Cheers,

CURLY

Originally posted by Curly View Post
    I bought a Witter towbar for my 3rd Gen Surf 6 months ago, fitted it, With a few problems with missing bolts, and the fact that it sat to low........................... .............................. .............................. .............
    .............................. .......

What are your thoughts??

Cheers,

CURLY
    You should told your supplier about the missing bolts which they probably would have sent out free of charge, and bought a drop plate from Halfords.
    Then sprayed the whole towbar assembly with black Hammerite.

All it would have cost you is around £18 for the plate and paint.

p.s. "Sat too low"?? Do you need new rear springs?
    All towballs sit too high on Surfs and need to be lowered.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      You should told your supplier about the missing bolts which they probably would have sent out free of charge, and bought a drop plate from Halfords.
      Then sprayed the whole towbar assembly with black Hammerite.

All it would have cost you is around £18 for the plate and paint.

p.s. "Sat too low"?? Do you need new rear springs?
      All towballs sit too high on Surfs and need to be lowered.

The whole tow bar (main frame that supports the towball that runs from the heavy angle brackets on either side of the chassis) sat about 3" below the bumper and it just looked wrong, and I did tell them about the missing bolts, and they did give me 2 standard ones for free, but they couldnt give me the ones welded to the flat. That's why I decided to get the 'captive' bolt plates made up.

And why should I have to take the towbar back off and spray it with black hammerite if it's gone rusty 5-6 months down the line? I paid over the odds for what I thought was a top quality tow bar when I could have spent half on a towequip one which probably would have been better!

Cheers,

CURLY
      Last edited by Curly; 11 May 2011, 18:51.

Comment

I bought a Towequip bar for one of my motors last year.
        It fitted great, extra bolts were supplied and it is still rust free.
        I looked at Witter and wondered who wou pay those stupid prices.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

So now I have a few choices:

1. Change the main part of the bar with the new one and send the old one back, but lose out on the cost of the brackets/welding.

2. Keep my old bar on the car, re-paint the rusty bits, send the new bar kit back and ask for a partial refund on the bar i have already.

3. Keep the old bar on, repaint etc, and sell the new bar, and keep putting them off when they call to ask for the old one back until they get bored.

4. Change the bar, but keep the old one until they hopefully forget about it, then sell it.

5. Tell them to come and fit the new one, and take the old one away to save me the hassle, but again lose out on the welding/bracket costs.

I'm thinking about option 3..

What are your thoughts??

Cheers,

CURLY
          My thoughts are that you could do options 3 or 4, and be very slightly better off but dishonest, or the other options and maybe lose out slightly but sleep better at night.

Well you did ask.

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
            I bought a Towequip bar for one of my motors last year.
            It fitted great, extra bolts were supplied and it is still rust free.
            I looked at Witter and wondered who wou pay those stupid prices.

LOL! The only reason I didn't buy a towequip one was the photo on their eBay shop looked pants, but it turned out to be a generic photo, and not the actual bar. DOH!

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
              My thoughts are that you could do options 3 or 4, and be very slightly better off but dishonest, or the other options and maybe lose out slightly but sleep better at night.

Well you did ask.
              True. I'm swaying towards option 2 now. I really can't be arsed to change it anyway, and I used my last 2 big zip ties holding the trailer plug wiring to the bar.

Dam you Witter!

Comment

LOL! The only reason I didn't buy a towequip one was the photo on their eBay shop looked pants, but it turned out to be a generic photo, and not the actual bar. DOH!

Have you seen the fitting costs?

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
                X