ARB Air Lockers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB Air Lockers.....

I have only just discovered the above, (after looking at Calos' youtube, thanks for your comment mate) and wow, they look amazing.

So looking at prices, would be £1160 for total kit, front and rear Lockers (Inc compressor) Has anyone fitted them? Any forum reviews?

Would love to have these on...
    www.vidamusic.co.uk

If you wanted to save yourself quite a few pennies you could probably fit a normal locking diff...

http://www.rocky-road.com/lockright.html

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...difflocker.htm

Not sure who it was that fitted something similar last year sometime but hopefully they'll see your post and reply.

The air lockers look nice and convenient but I have a suspicion that they will just add something un-necessary to go wrong.

Have to admit that I'm tempted by a diff lock of some description - just the paranoia of not wanting to get stuck!

EDIT:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64330
    Last edited by Rustinho; 10 May 2011, 20:32.

Comment

You will hate a front locker unless it is a full control air type.
      A front locker when engaged tens to force the truck forward and you lose steering and feel. For a play day off roader I wouldd not bother with the front locker.

A rear locker is a fantastic upgrade and will make you grin {a lot}
      Brian

Comment

What Yoshie said.

Always get a manual locker if you can afford it, ARB make great kit.

An auto locker will not be your friend in the snow or ice though, but for offroading they are fine.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

An auto locker will not be your friend in the snow or ice though, but for offroading they are fine.
          Everyone told me that, but in reality it's not THAT bad.

But yeah, if you have the coin, selectable is the shizzle my snizzle.
          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I work for an ARB agent, here in NZ. We fit loads of these to all makes of trucks. We have plenty of customers who fit both a front and rear locker, the last one I did was on a 2011 Prado for a local farmer. The ARB ones are virtually bullet proof but aren't an easy fit. You need a few special tools and a good understanding of the diff workings. You'll need to set pinion pre load (if replacing the pinion bearings) backlash for the crown and pinion and also test the workings of the locker with an 80 psi air supply. You'll also need to drill and tap the diff housing for the air supply from the compressor. Here in NZ and Oz, ARB are the best and are tested in some serious conditions to make sure they last.....there's nothing like a whinging Aussie with a broken 4x4!

Try and avoid the permanent 'click clack' lockers. The mechanical ones that lock when driving straight but disengage when turning, they can wear rear tyres too quickly.

Comment

Wicked. Time to save a few more pennies then! I know the ARB is quite expensive, but all reviews seem to be that they a far superior, if you wanna spend that. Will defo get rear. Re the front Yoshie, with it being selectable in the cab, this will be ok won't it? Obviously only flick it on to get you out of trouble, then straight off again to go back to normal. Would ya go for one that is fully selectable or still not bother?
              www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
                Wicked. Time to save a few more pennies then! I know the ARB is quite expensive, but all reviews seem to be that they a far superior, if you wanna spend that. Will defo get rear. Re the front Yoshie, with it being selectable in the cab, this will be ok won't it? Obviously only flick it on to get you out of trouble, then straight off again to go back to normal. Would ya go for one that is fully selectable or still not bother?
                The guys we fit both diffs to are serious users, those who or are off road through work, every day. Farmers, utility companies, etc., or those that compete in the various comps through the year. If you only go off road on occasion, then go for one, the rear one. You can always fit the front locker at a later date. We do find that the guys with air lockers stop using their winch, very rarely getting stuck!

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                  Everyone told me that, but in reality it's not THAT bad.

But yeah, if you have the coin, selectable is the shizzle my snizzle.
                  I'll second that..I had front and rear auto lockers in (Aussie lockers), without a shadow of doubt the best thing I've done to the truck.

Yes, you can feel it in the front - the steering slightly more resistive & you may loose a metre off your turning circle. But I never once found it a hinderance when out and about..still managed to negotiate the tight twisty 'woods' @ Bala without incident.

I've tried to kick the back end out, and even in the rain ive not managed it yet with the 3.0l..I'm sure with the V8 that will change & I'll report back if & when it's done. Snow..not had the experience as the trucks been off the road since Oct', however if you mooch over to yotatech, Matt16 fitted an Aussie and has given a really good extended test and review (which influenced me to buy mine) which includes his thoughts on driving in the snow IIRC there was no issue really.

The rear..you don't even know it's there other than the slight ratcheting when swinging into a parking spot or any tight turn. The only time I've notice it lock-up on the road was going up a steep hill with switchback (hairpin) turns where you have to power through the turn. No drama other than a couple of chirps from the tyre though.

The other drawback is it makes your truck much more capable..so that tricky climb at your local site becomes an easy plod up. You then go off looking for something 'tricky' again, which tends to be borderline mental and you end up breaking the next weakest link in the chain..driveshafts, CV's, transfer box...
                  Last edited by an1mal_69; 11 May 2011, 09:52.

Comment

or sell the truck and buy a 3rd gen with all its lovely locky differy (this becomes more of a temptation with every passing day...

Comment

More chance of not using them tho as you won't want to scratch it..

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                        or sell the truck and buy a 3rd gen with all its lovely locky differy (this becomes more of a temptation with every passing day...
                        Not the same thing mate, a centre locking diff is not the same as lockers that lock the axles.
                        Brian

Comment

I cant stop looking at vid's and pages of the Air Locker, i've even stripped my old front diff (that i buggered) today to find my way round it for (when) i get one.
                          Searched online loads for the install and i found some really good articles, complete with pics and step by step guides. Seems pretty simple, the only thing dont understand, is the 'setting the backlash' i have no idea what this is, even tho i've watched footage of how to's etc, still dont understand what it is? Can anyone shed any light for me?

ARB's YouTube Channel

I'm defo going to go for it, i'm searching for best prices, and saving up as don't have a spare £1500 just 'knocking' about at the mo. Will be worth every penny tho i'm sure.
                          www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
                            I cant stop looking at vid's and pages of the Air Locker, i've even stripped my old front diff (that i buggered) today to find my way round it for (when) i get one.
                            Searched online loads for the install and i found some really good articles, complete with pics and step by step guides. Seems pretty simple, the only thing dont understand, is the 'setting the backlash' i have no idea what this is, even tho i've watched footage of how to's etc, still dont understand what it is? Can anyone shed any light for me?

ARB's YouTube Channel

I'm defo going to go for it, i'm searching for best prices, and saving up as don't have a spare £1500 just 'knocking' about at the mo. Will be worth every penny tho i'm sure.
                            Backlash is the amount of 'free' movement between the pinion and crown wheel. If you hold the pinion tight, the crown wheel will move very slightly...we are talking 0.015 - 0.025 of a mm. This allows for heat expansion of the teeth so as not to run too tightly but loose enough so as not to cause a clunk on acceleration. You'll need a DTI gauge and suitable clamp or magnetic stand. You'll also need the correct torque settings for the crown wheel and bearing caps. The first one I did took me a few hours as I was making sure everything was spot on and read and re read the instructions, etc. Now, I can do them in 90 mins.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X