Wading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wading

A friend of mine was recently out off roading, using his new £5k Landrover Defender 90 for the first time. To our amusement, it got stuck in a kind of swampy pond thing. But in the process of flailing about and trying to wriggle free, his clutch stopped working.

Once we'd stopped laughing and towed it back to the workshop, it turns out there is a hole in the bottom of the bell housing, which you are apparently supposed to plug before off roading. Needless to say, he hadn't, and his clutch filled up with mud to the point that it was basically stuck open, hence loss of drive!

Nobody seems to know why the hole is there, there's one in the bottom of the timing belt cover as well. The best answer I've heard is that when the seals at the ends of the crank inevitably fail, the resulting oil leak will drain out of these holes, alerting the owner to the problem and preventing the bell housing/timing belt cover from filling up with oil!

Anyway, I thought I'd check that there isn't something similar on the Surf which we should be doing before hitting the mud. Other than the common sense precautions, like checking rubbers, greasing nipples, vaseline in electrical connectors, etc. I know the ECU can be moved higher but I don't have a snorkel yet and really don't want to be going deep enough to get wet inside the vehicle.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Team Japan; 9 May 2011, 21:17. Reason: spelling
    Andy

have not stopped sniggering yet!

Comment

Wading Plug

Its called a wading plug, also on the range rover. It should be fitted before any prolonged wading!!!

Comment

Originally posted by red barron View Post
        Its called a wading plug, also on the range rover. It should be fitted before any prolonged wading!!!
        Well he knows that now!

We couldn't work out why there is a hole at all though, why not leave the plug in all the time?

And more importantly, if we've missed something similar we should be doing on the Surfs?

Cheers
        Andy

Comment

The rule is to use the clutch as little as possible under water, no matter what motor you drive, another reason I prefer autos for offroading.

Toyota don't have/need wading plugs, there is a plate over the bottom of the bellhousing, but its not overly water tight. A long time is silty water will get crap inbetween the clutch plate, its just life.

It need a drain hole, for any occasonal oil or water that gets in there. You're not supposed to leave LR wading plugs in long term.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by kpautos View Post
            have not stopped sniggering yet!
            I know! Has he finished it yet? Or will he be taking his 110 at the weekend?
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              The rule is to use the clutch as little as possible under water, no matter what motor you drive, another reason I prefer autos for offroading.

Toyota don't have/need wading plugs, there is a plate over the bottom of the bellhousing, but its not overly water tight. A long time is silty water will get crap inbetween the clutch plate, its just life.

It need a drain hole, for any occasonal oil or water that gets in there. You're not supposed to leave LR wading plugs in long term.
              Ah, that makes sense I guess. Thanks for the answer. Our Surfs are autos, so don't have a bell housing as such, but there's nothing we specifically need to do then before wading.

What about diff/transmission breathers? Is it worth extending them up or do they look after themselves in water?

Cheers
              Andy

Comment

Yep, you should definitely extend the diff breathers. I didn't on my first Surf, and paid for it later when the axle seal leaked diff oil into my drum brakes.

Was one of the first things I did on my new (now missing) truck.

This is a handy link for doing them yourself - http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/diffbreathers.htm
                Last edited by bimmaman; 10 May 2011, 04:24.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmaman View Post
                  This is a handy link for doing them yourself - http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/diffbreathers.htm
                  Excellent link, thanks for the useful info!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by bimmaman View Post
                    Yep, you should definitely extend the diff breathers. I didn't on my first Surf, and paid for it later when the axle seal leaked diff oil into my drum brakes.
                    They'll do that anyway when your bearings are shot. Happened to me, despite extended diff breathers.
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                    X