Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change

Hi all, my Hilux Surf 3l td manual had an oil change (from its previous owner) 5000km. ago. I intend to change the oil and filter myself and would value any advice on the type of oil I should use.
    The engine is 1KZ-TE (2982) with 88000km and I would be interested to know if this engine is used in any uk models, in which case I could obtain an oil filter (pattern part) from my local supplier.
    Are any oil filters particulary recommended, or are they all much the same?
    Am I correct in assuming that 5000km is the proper oil change period
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

id use a genuine oil filter to be honest...they're not that much dearer than a spurious one

Comment

I use millers xfd 5w40 and filters from Roughtrax 4x4, at 3000 mile intervals. (5000k = 3100 miles.) Chap I bought the truck off said that's all he'd been told to use and the beast seemed healthy enough, still is after 3 years. ( also said something about letting the truck tick over a few mins after a long or fast run to allow for the turbo oil to cool down before shut down. Apparently, using fully synthetic reduces the need for this, as the oil does'nt break down the same?) Any way, I use fully synthetic, and let her tick over a few mins every time, belt and braces and all. I'm sure some body will be along to either explain that better, or say what a load of 'bo££ox'.
      I usually pay around £30.00/5ltr's, (7ltr's required) but this does'nt seem a bad deal if you buy the bulk order. http://www.auto-essentials.co.uk/eco...only-p-80.html whatever, there is cheaper synthetic oil, but it ticks all the boxes etc.
      Happy changing.

Comment

Thanks for that, I will also change the fuel filter and would value advice on procedure for repriming.
        Is the interval between fuel filter changes more than 5000k?

Comment

fill the new filter with redex or atf the refit it.This way the fuel system will get a bloomin good clean,I change the fuel filter each time the oil etc is done as the filter kits are cheap enough
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            fill the new filter with redex or atf the refit it.
            just pure redex??no diesel mixed in with it in the filter??????????

Comment

Millers XFD

Probably one of the best oils that you could put in your truck, i would'nt change this at 3000 miles. I use the same after rebuilding the motor 3 years ago when the head went at 140,000 miles. I change it at 5/6000, even thats quite generous! Just clocked 246,000 with no issues. However if i was using a cheap mineral oil then yes every 3000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                fill the new filter with redex or atf the refit it.This way the fuel system will get a bloomin good clean,I change the fuel filter each time the oil etc is done as the filter kits are cheap enough
                Wow, good effort. That'll sort it.
                I'm finding the fuel filter a real pfaff to change; undo the hoses, remove with the housing and plonk in a vice to get the wrench on it! Is this the only way?
                Cannot even get the wrench on the oil filter; anyone else got a tip for gettin the fecker off?
                Maybe I'm just dumb and missing something really obvious. Think I'll buy a filter socket and see if there's enough room to get a handle on it...

Comments please...
                The stars that shine brightest are not always the closest.

Comment

Originally posted by pictishsurfer View Post
                  Wow, good effort. That'll sort it.
                  I'm finding the fuel filter a real pfaff to change; undo the hoses, remove with the housing and plonk in a vice to get the wrench on it! Is this the only way?
                  Cannot even get the wrench on the oil filter; anyone else got a tip for gettin the fecker off?
                  Maybe I'm just dumb and missing something really obvious. Think I'll buy a filter socket and see if there's enough room to get a handle on it...

Comments please...
                  Remove the inspection panel in the drivers side front wheel arch and the oil filter is pretty much right in front of you.

Comment

Working...
                  X