yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm thinking of becomming a plumber...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm thinking of becomming a plumber...

Anyone on here a plumber?

My background is sales/office work, but I am desperate to get out of the office, and do something more practical. I have never tried plumbing, but I've been thinking about it, off and on, for years. Now I've reached a point in my life where I need to make a decision about careers etc, and I think I want to go down the route of plumbing.

So what are the pros and cons of plumbing? Should I go for City & Guilds qualification, or something else?

What about gas/combi boiler fitting - does that come under plumbing or something else?

Sorry if this seems like a random place to ask these questions, but I don't know where else to ask...

Cheers!

I was a plumber (retired now) theres a lot to learn especially if your going to go for gas certification, the courses are expensive and once your qualified you need to take a five yearly "competance" check, good money to be made once your qualified tho, i thinks the qualifaction is "ACOPS" (used to be "CORGI" and still may well be) if you can get with a firm that will train you up and put you through these courses fine dont know if there are any firms still doing that, basic domestic plumbing is straight forward, all depends what you want to do, emergancy call or site work or appalince service,
    most plumbing (especially domestic) is never easy, awkward places, difficult to get at, awkward customers,
    i was 24hr emergancy plumbing and drain laying/clearance, self employed and never got to do the gas courses, too expensive and i couldn't afford to take the time off to do em anyway, i'd phone british gas or some other large co, steer clear of the small outfits, useually cowboys,see what their policy if regarding training etc.

sorry mate, just realised your in NZ, no idea what their laws are re-gas, i know they dont recconise british qulifications in Aus, you have to re-test/train

PS any word on you stoled truck?
    Last edited by POPEYE; 5 May 2011, 08:53.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

No word as yet. It's obviously been fragged for parts, so I doubt I'll ever see it again. Insurance claim is in, I just hope they pay me what I think it's worth

Thanks for the info on plumbing. I'm actually going to be coming back to the UK to do whatever course I decide to do, so the British Gas thing may be a good idea. I know a few years back they were taking people on and training them, but I'm not sure that's still going. Definitely worth investigating though.

Comment

I did a multi skilled course a few years back in the North East at one of these "Learn How To" places.

My background is sales/marketing but got sick of the back stabbing and general dishonesty of the whole thing so bought a pub. Did ok but with the amount of red tape, HMC&E and the brewery stitching us up i packed it all in but i enjoyed being self employed and coupled with a love of Landscaping and DIY went for a complete change of direction and started my own Property Maintenance business.

The course i attended was a 14 day learn how to tile, plaster and a basic plumbing course. Very indepth and brilliant course which showed us the basics. All hands on with a guy explaining how to do stuff which we then put into practice in purpose built units.

Experience plays a major part with stuff like this and in the 3 years since we did the course i can honestly say that if you compared my plastering/tiling with a "time served" tradesman you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

All in all the complete change of direction was the best thing i've ever done. I work my hours to suit meaning i can take the kids to school if needs be, start at 8am or 9am or later depending on the customer and if i need a pay raise i work a bit harder and get more done. Lol.

Instead of becoming just a plumber why not try the same route i did?
        If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Comment

Personally I think you have to have a passion for any creative task...

From what you've written, I don't think you have that for plumbing, or you would have been "tinkering" with your pipework for years by now.

Sorry if it seems harsh, but I think you need to make sure it's for you before embarking on training course after training course, only to find its not "you".

If you're going for a "new" career, same as I did (recruitment industry to general building/bricklaying/plastering/carpentry/plumbing and allowable electrics...) make sure its the right one. I really enjoy what I do, but then again I've been doing it since I was a kid with my dad and then have renovated a couple of houses in the meantime.

Hope this helps in someway...

Mostly though, good luck pal!
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

@Wolfracer - Thanks for the honesty! I know what you are trying to say, and I appreciate it. For me, I've never really been in a place where I can just "tinker' with the pipes - I've always been in rented accomodation with pretty decent pipework... I used to work for South West Water, where I think I first discovered I was interested in plumbing. I have a good understanding of pipework/fittings etc, I've just never had to do any actual plumbing. Well, I stopped a toilet from leaking once, lol

@Daisy - That sounds like a good idea, my brother is a landscape gardener and bricklayer, so maybe I could learn some tradeskills, and go into business with him

Whatever happens, I don't really want to stay in the office, that much I know.

Comment

Whichever way you end up going, good luck for the future.
              If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

Comment

A mate of mine was a call centre manager, and decided to pack it all up, train as a plumber and set up his own business.

He seems to have done well, and is happy with his choice!
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                X