Upper Wishbones - topping out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Wishbones - topping out?

Was underneath today, and noticed that the upper wishbone bumpstop was in contact with the wishbone, meaning effectively I have no "extra" downward movement of the suspension. Is this normal? TB's have been wound right up, and don't really feel any adverse driving characteristics, but a little concerned about the set up.
    Any advice on this?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

No it's not 'normal' but loads of people seem happy with it. You'll notice you have no down travel when you go over a pothole and the whole truck just drops into it.

The usual solution is to trim the bumpstops or fit bj spacers. (or wind them back down a bit)
    Last edited by wishbone; 1 May 2011, 23:41.

Comment

Not normal and if too much pressure on the top bump stops can break the mounts. As stated, BJ spacers and winding the torsion bars back down a bit is a solution, as is trimming the upper bump stops for that little extra down travel.

Nev

Comment

Cutting the stops down isn't REALLY a solution, unless you particularly enjoy changing shredded CV boots / mangled CVs. The bump stops are there to prevent the CVs going past their angular limits.

IFS and short wishbones mean you just cant have big lifts on the springs.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Cutting the stops down isn't REALLY a solution, unless you particularly enjoy changing shredded CV boots / mangled CVs. The bump stops are there to prevent the CVs going past their angular limits.

IFS and short wishbones mean you just cant have big lifts on the springs.

But surely cutting the bumpstops will give less extra droop than fitting bj spacers ?

Comment

Working...
          X