Heater flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater flow

I ought to know but i'm not sure, anyone know which way the coolant flows TO the heater? ie is it to the conn with the valve on or the other one? gonna be fitting the electric pump but instead of "in line" on one of the hoses like i had it for the dual tanks thing i want to put it from the heater return to the pump and back to the pipe the return did go to, hopeing this will not only serve to help cool the coolant (it's getting pumped through a rear mounted rad) but will drag water through the heater better, i have bugga all heat though it, just thought i double check before cutting any pipes, did a search but come up with nothing, thanks
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

it flows through the valve to the heater.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yup, as opposed to flowing into the heater, getting it all nice and hot and then out to the valve where you can shut off the flow and keep the heater nice and toastie.

Comment

Do you have a diagram of what you want to do? I'm a bit concerned that you may interfere with flow from engine to turbo and back to engine again, as this uses the heater return line.

Nev

Comment

Cheer's Tony/Vince, the way i had it in my mind was right then

Nev, what i want to do is take the pipe from the return on the heater(one without the valve) to the rear (back axle area) and connect to an electric water pump, outlet from the pump will then go to a radiator mounted over the chassis above the axle, from the rad back to the return pipe on the engine, i had this set up fitted for a few years when i was doing the second veg tank thing, no probe as i could tell regarding the turbo, only difference then was i just "tee'd" into one of the heater hoses, i'm guessing this was why my heater never got hot as the pump was probably forceing the water to "bypass" the heater, i should point out that the pump i have is a 24volt one, before installing it last time i tested it in a bucket on 12volt and it pumped ok but guessing it's running half speed, it's enough to help the water run the distance tho, i've sited the pump sort of midway in the line so it has an equal pull/push workload, also the pump will run via a temp sensor so wont be on at all times, i can also manually switch it off,
          since dumping all the veg oil stuff i just want the pump to pull/push coolant through the rear rad and help cool it a bit,
          i'm also gonna bypass that useless rear heater takeoffs at the block,
          i'm hopeing the pump will drag coolant through the heater and it will then give out some decent heat
          also need to chack the opperations on the heater to see if they are working ok as with it piped up as stock it still gives out bugger all heat,
          if i could afford the silicon hose/bends etc i come off the main rad's lower outlet and run the pump on that, but several meters of 35-38mm id hose plus the bends is gonna be an arm and a leg,
          i realise that doing it this way means i need to have the hot/cold slider set to hot all the time but i can live with that, as it's sodding chilly here most of the year
          Last edited by POPEYE; 1 May 2011, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            Do you have a diagram of what you want to do? I'm a bit concerned that you may interfere with flow from engine to turbo and back to engine again, as this uses the heater return line.

Nev
            Nev, are you sure about this? isn't the turbo feed from the heater in pipe, way before the heater valve on the metal pipes. If you turn the heater off, flow through the matrix will stop, so nothing will come out return line. It must get coolant from somewhere else.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Started removeing stuff this afternoon and it looks like the turbo pipes take one from the flow and one to the return so guessing that with the heater matrix turned off the turbo will still get a flow, so with that in mind i'm thinking all i'll be doing is (hopefully) incraseing the flow rate

(the turbo take-off's are on the heater metal tubes near the front of the engine)

Comment

Turbo is fed directly from engine, at the thermostat housing, before the thermostat. The hose goes across front of engine attached to timing cover with a bracket. Return is back to engine via the heater return hose via a little T section in the metal pipe between air con and engine.

The thing to look at, is to make sure a pump, setup inline from the heater hoses, will not create any back pressure to the turbo return line and restrict the flow. Have to study the setup suggested, as I am not sure if this can happen.

Installing a pump inline on the heater hoses may (i do say may because I am not sure) increase pressure in the heater hose line which could possibly create back pressure to the much smaller turbo return hose.

This is a bit of a tricky one to work out.

Nev

Comment

Cheer's Nev, i'm gonna get a good day on it today so will see, like i said the pump was fitted for 2-3 years and running all the time the engine was running, and no probs, but it was just teed into the flow hose, i'll get some pic's

Comment

some pics of the flows and what i did, ended up removeing the hot/cold valve, just need to refil tomorrow, intercooler removed and two brackets found broken, made up some new ones and all refitted, there dosen't appear to be owt obstructing the throttle, cable looks good and the intake flap returns fine, plenty of "spring" going to check the cab end of it,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X