Steering shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering shock

Whats the trick to getting it off? I've removed all nuts but the piece that goes through the steering rod won't budge. Any tips?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
    Whats the trick to getting it off? I've removed all nuts but the piece that goes through the steering rod won't budge. Any tips?
    You mean the pitman arm?

Loads of WD, loads of hammer.

I've heated them in the past but people say you shouldn't.

There are pullers, but two big hammers should do it.
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Sorry I read it wrong, you are on the shock.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post

The shaft is tapered, so wind the nut back on a bit and give it a clout.

Comment

use a BJ breaker to get it off (or a bigger hammer)
          “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Comment

Cheers for the replies. I went and put a jack under it and gave it a few good whacks. Then lost my temper, removed jack and whacked it again and on the second one it popped out.

The next hasle was getting the Desert Fox replacement on. They have somehow managed to use a dowel / castor (or whatever that little cylindrical piece is at the end which fixes to the chassis) that is too wide to fit into the bracket on the chassis. Out came the grinder

Desert fox shocks are complete pants. Way too soft. I bet there is little difference between the 18 year old Toyota part I just removed and the Desert Fox one I just fitted. We'll find out
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
            X