Cooling our Surfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
    The reason I have been doing a bit of digging is because on longer climbs my surf heats up a bit (towing a camping trailer), normal running is around 90 to 94 but on climbs and under load this can spike to 110.
    What unit are you pulling? I have the Pathfinder that comes in at 1 ton, and my girl only ever started to get that hot during the long climbs on the M74/80 when coming home. Since then I fitted a tranny cooler as suggested before the rad, but I haven't used her for towing since as (I hate to say this, and will not say it within ear shot of the beast) the Mondeo tows better, thanks to more power, and a manual gearbox so the power is delivered with less power loss.

Local running the tranny cooler has reduced the engine block temp by about 10degrees.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

my 2 penneths worth. we have broken about 15 manual surfs with cracked heads , dont think the auto fluid is bothering the cooling system that much, blame it on the turbo , look at all the 2.4 hilux trucks and hiace vans [ normally aspirated ] that go for over 200k without probs in the uk then get shipped out to africa to do another 200
      JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

So is there anything we can do to reduce turbo temps?
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Have a browse on Toyotadiesel forums. I'm sure I remember a fair few threads on EGT gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            So is there anything we can do to reduce turbo temps?
            You mean reduce the temp of the intake charge to keep the cylinder head happy?
            Fit an intercooler and larger exhaust dump pipe.
            Fit vents in the bonnet to let the hot air out quicker.
            Cut away the inner wheel arches like I do with the V8 conversions.
            Put some carpet tacks inside your right boot. (You'll need to brake with your left foot though)

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              You mean reduce the temp of the intake charge to keep the cylinder head happy?
              Fit an intercooler and larger exhaust dump pipe.
              Fit vents in the bonnet to let the hot air out quicker.
              Cut away the inner wheel arches like I do with the V8 conversions.
              Put some carpet tacks inside your right boot. (You'll need to brake with your left foot though)
              You forgot the obvious one Vince...
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                You forgot the obvious one Vince...

Get the exhaust manifold ceramic coated?

Comment

You read my mind!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I fitted the oil cooler in line with the rad cooler, temp guage, thermostat, serviced viscous fan, did all oils n fluids and replaced the head, mine has never been over 90deg since and normally sits at 85. I used a cooler from the scrappy for 20 quid, rover 75 ones look like a good fit and there's loads of these in scrapyards, mines in the valance behind the number plate and seems to be doing what I want it to. H

Comment

Working...
                    X