LR Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LR Discovery

I just had a 98 Discovery TDI for the weekend and thought those who have never driven one would like to know what they're like and how they compare to Surfs. So:

Good points:

Quite comfy
    Decent rear leg room
    Lots of light inside
    Faily big boot
    Not terrible at cornering
    Horn works

Bad points:

Even slower than a 2.4
    Massive shut lines all over it
    Gets very hot if you go up hill
    Gets very hot if you go over 60
    Brakes don't work
    Lots of body roll

The only reasons I could ever see to get one would be to use it purely as an offroader (provided you could keep it cool enough) or as a very tall MPV to drive around town. It's poor on country roads and terrible on the motorway. So, really, your choice is to use it as a tractor (but a Defender would be better) or a Chelsea tractor. So, I believe we can trace the evolution of the hated school-run 4x4 precisely back to the launch of the Land Rover Discovery.

I haven't actually driven a Surf for a couple of years, but would say they are much better on the road at least. If you want a vehicle to drive every day and occasionally take off road, it is much better than a Disco. If you want a 'pure' off roader, you'd be better of with a Defender.

You do have the big handle on the passenger dash though, to keep your passenger in place on roundabouts, where he / she would otherwise be on the roof lining.

The V8 is fun - used to have one at work til the gearbox exploded.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

My Dad has an early 3 door Disco, bleedin awful to drive, and makes me feel sea sick.
      Passed two broken down on the way home from work tonight.

The worst 4x4xfar.........

Comment

I've got a V8 one, it's a good old bus, It's gotta go though.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
        X