Filtering WVO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering WVO

I would like to know how people are doing it!

What method is best?

Ideally easy and cheap and reasonably quickly.
    “Do or do not... there is no try.”

Human kidneys, get your family to drink it, then wee in a bucket.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Take a look here Lee.
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55767
      Good Luck

Jess
      nearly 10 years of Surfs
      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

This is how i did it, 2 x old mango chutney drums, a pair of green team filters and a hand pump, just flogged this lot on eblag (i think, he's yet to pick it up and pay) run it through a fine strainer first to get the popadums and onion bajee bits out then pump it into the top drum and collect your fuel from the bottom one,
        Attached Files
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ok - New question:

Why does WVO need to settle? Is it to get the water to seperate?

Would it be better to filter through a series of filters getting progressively smaller 400,200,100,75,25,10,5 microns first then leave it to settle?

Comment

Settle it first. Check by dropping into hot pan. If it spits it still has water suspended in it.
            Using ever decreasing filters will prolong the lives of the finer ones but you could use t shirts or whatever then finish with a proper 5 micron.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
              Settle it first. Check by dropping into hot pan. If it spits it still has water suspended in it.
              Using ever decreasing filters will prolong the lives of the finer ones but you could use t shirts or whatever then finish with a proper 5 micron.
              Cheers Biosurf - BTW I assume you are running Bio/WVO in your Surf (guessing by the name)
              Would it be possible to come over and meet you/see your set up some time? Surrey isn't very far from me, I'd like to use WVO or Bio but I'd like to see and understand how to do it properly first!

Comment

When I first started it was small scale, a 3 litre oil container, cut the bottom out, fit old piece of pillowcase over the neck tie with wire, laccy band etc, tip upside down n ready for use !!
                Good Luck
                Pics here
                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1252398326

Jess
                nearly 10 years of Surfs
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                  When I first started it was small scale, a 3 litre oil container, cut the bottom out, fit old piece of pillowcase over the neck tie with wire, laccy band etc, tip upside down n ready for use !!
                  Good Luck
                  Pics here
                  http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1252398326

Jess
                  nearly 10 years of Surfs
                  Small scale, not unlike your picture (you posted a thumbnail!)

Comment

Basicly the longer you let it stand the better which is fine if you have a fair old storage space, i sieved it into a 20lt can, let it stand for a week approx and then pumped it into the top tank and let it filter dowm theough a 50 micron then a 5 micron, before adding to my deisel i added either 2lt of white spirits or 2lt of petrol, plus 1lt of ATF, apart from getting a pump leak when i over did the mix to derv i never had any probs, didn't even have to fix the leak, just thinned the oil/derv mix and it stopped,
                    how far you go into makeing your fuel and altering the fuel system on the truck (dual tanks, heaters, etc) all depends wether you have a good supply of oil, space for it and wether your just adding to derv or want to run 100% oil
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by puddlesurfer View Post
                      Small scale, not unlike your picture (you posted a thumbnail!)
                      Sorry Lee wasn't meant to be funny.... here's the full link, post 20
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55767

Jess
                      nearly 10 years of Surfs
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X